1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No video, no beeping, no keyboard lights from new build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by diablo75, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. diablo75

diablo75 Thread Starter

I recently finished assembling a PC for someone. It contains:

Motherboard (ECS GeForce6100PM-M2 Motherboard - v2.0, NVIDIA GeForce 6100, Socket AM2+, MicroATX, Audio, Video, 10/100 Ethernet LAN, USB 2.0, Serial ATA, RAID --- $50): http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3581158&CatId=2320

CPU (AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Processor ADO4600DOBOX - 2.40GHz, 1MB Cache, 1000MHz (2000 MT/s) FSB, Brisbane, Dual-Core, Retail, Socket AM2, Processor with Fan --- $60): http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2207256&CatId=2328

After I finished putting everything together, I turned the computer on. All the fans fired up, but I hear no beeps from the little speaker and I see no video on the monitor.

I've tried to dismantle and reconstruct the system, as well as tried to power it on with nothing attached to the motherboard except the CPU and one stick of ram. Same result.

If I remove all the ram and all the parts, except the CPU, the PC speaker beeps non-stop.

My guess is I ruined the CPU during installation some how... perhaps I touched a couple contacts on the bottom of it. I don't know why else I would not see anything on the screen as far as the BIOS is concerned, but I also don't know what to make out of he no-beeping (except when ram is removed)... it makes me wonder just how brain dead this thing is.

Thoughts/Suggestions?

2. chrome57

chrome57

First thought was memory not seated properly, but you say you did a bare board post, trial. The constant beep with no memory is a normal BIOS signal for a memory problem. Are you sure that the memory is good? Is the Motherboard 5V light on,fan going?

3. diablo75

diablo75 Thread Starter

I ordered and replaced the ECS motherboard with an Abit NF-M2PV motherboard, and I'm having the same problem. And for the record I've reseated the RAM multiple times.

When this first happened, I disconnected all the drives from the motherboard, pretty much everything but the processor, ram, video and the keyboard. After restart, still!! no video, no beeps. I tried to clear the CMOS with no power applied to the motherboard. Even still! No video, no beeps. I did this with both motherboards.

So... we have two motherboards. No video, no beep codes... is the processor the culprit? In other words, if you had a bad processor, would it still be able to think its way into a BIOS screen, or would it be so incapacitated that it wouldn't even have enough "brains" to "know" the CPU is dead, and report this with a beep code or something?

4. chrome57

chrome57

Hi Yes it is looking suspect for sure, you didnt say if the 5V light is on the motherboard. I have had that happen to a good skt 939 sys so I gave it away to a friend. He plugged it all in and it went fine. After I stopped chocking I realized that my power switch on the case was faulty. So as an old friend says check all connections and switches first, then the power supply. Good luck,finding the bad bit is a real test

5. diablo75

diablo75 Thread Starter

I've found the problem: One of the two sticks of memory were bad. I had pulled one stick earlier, and didn't realize that the one I had left in was the bad one (which made me throw my arms up and declare "that's not the problem", stupid me).

What a simple fix.

6. chrome57

chrome57

That is so often the problem. And yes if the module in slot one is bad it will not go.
    Congratulations. PC repair 101 passed

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754689

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice