Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] No Video

1K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  ~Candy~ 
#1 ·
I have a Compaq Presario, 9000 series, 128 Megs of Ram, 6 gig hard drive, win 98 SE and 56K Modem. One day it was working fine, next day, no video at startup. I'm stuck. The tower still powers up but no post, no video at start up. I tried replacing the video card, no luck, replaced the memory but still no luck. Tooled around the Compaq site, well you know the rest. I need a confirmation, is the motherboard on the blink or what?:confused:

#3 ·
BTurner,

Assuming the monitor works and you have tried a second video card, try disconnecting all your other devices.
Take out all the cards except the video adapter and disconnect all your drives. You should get some video even without your hard drive.
You mentioned it is not going past POST, do you get any beeps.

Regards,
Roger

#4 ·
Thanks fellows for your rapid response, however after trying the two suggestions, I still have no video. The monitor works on another computer. The board and processor fan continue to power up but no beeps to indicate the boot process. This is the first time I've ever seen anything like this and I'm dumbfounded.:confused:

#7 ·
I reseated the processor and the memory, still no video. Then I replaced the processor and memory chip with everything disconnected from the motherboard except the video card, processor and mem, still no video, neither from the on board video or the PCI card. Is there anything else I can test? Thank You.

#8 ·
To me at least it is not clear if you have tried removing the pci video card and just using the onboard video. Did you have to go into the bios to disable the onboard card before using the pci card or was it automatically detected? If all else fails and you set it in the bios, you could try clearing the bios and starting over hoping to get back onboard video. You could also try moving the pci card to another slot if you have not done so already.

#9 ·
Yes I tried clearing the CMOS but still no luck, the only way you can change from the onboard video to another card is through windows which I can't access because I can't get any video. At this point I think the motherboard is gone and needs to be replaced. Would this be a correct assumption?:confused:

#11 ·
I've tried every way possible to get this thing to work, I just reset the CMOS, reseated the processor and mem again to see if the on board video would work. No luck, what has me so dumbfounded is if it is the motherboard, why is it still powering up and why am I getting the intial lights on the keyboard with no beeps to indicate the boot process?:confused:

#15 ·
Bturner,

The fact that the fans are turning does not necessarily mean that the motherboard is getting power.
If you are really energetic you can remove the power supply and connect it to the motherboard in another computer or vice versa and see if it works.

Roger

#16 ·
I'm having the same problems with my Compaq 5000. I have tried everything that has been suggested, such as pulling the video card and trying to run from the onboard video, and reseating everything else. The computer acts like it is in sleep mode, and doesn't respond. Any help would be appreciated.

#17 ·
The power supply on that unit is only has an output of 145 watts.
I don't have a power supply that small. The smallest supply I have is a 250, I'm not very knowledgeable about power supplies, if I do attached a larger power supply to this computer would that possibly destroy the processor or the mem. Nothing else is connected to the power supply at this time (i.e. hard drive, CD-RW, CD-Rom) Thanks for all of your help.

#19 ·
Just got off the phone with a Compaq service center, the board in this machine is a Cameo board. He admitted they're not very good board and Comapq has replaced a lot of these boards. THE MOTHERBOARD IS HISTORY The bad thing is, 1) they don't keep the boards in stock, takes about a week or two to get in 2) with the core, the board cost about $149.50, maybe higher in other places 3) No improvements will ever be made to the Camero board. Thanks to all of you that responed in my hour of pulling my hair out. I really appreciate you guys and girls for being out there and willing to help. A big thanks to the guys at techguy, I don't know where this world would be without you.....Thank You a Million times over

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.