Solved: no webcam after windows reinstall

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jillianb

I have a Dell inspiron 4010 laptop with Windows 7. After reinstalling windows, I have not been able to access my webcam (it is built in the laptop). It is not listed in my programs. Is there some driver I need to install? I have the drivers and utilities CD, but I am not sure which one contains my webcam.

Thanks.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I think you made a typo with the model number of your Dell Inspiron laptop.

Advise what the 7-character "service tag" number on the sticker is so we can find and access the support site that's specific to your laptop.

------------------------------------------------------------

jillianb

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] It is an Inspiron 14R, Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit. The service tag is C9CRYP1
[/FONT]

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
According to service tag number C9CRYP1, here is the support and software site that's specific only to your Dell Inspiron 14R laptop.

I'm guessing you have the N4010 model.

You should add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it when needed.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I accessed the drivers and downloads section for Windows 7 and didn't see any webcam description or a driver for it.

When you load the drivers and utilities disc, does any of the file names give you some indication as to which one may be for the webcam?

--------------------------------------------------------------

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Go to Control Panel - Device Manager.

Are there any entries in the list that have a yellow ? or yellow ! or red X next to them?

-----------------------------------------------------------

jillianb

Thanks, I will check out the site.

No, I don't see any that specifically indicate are for the webcam.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
This is from the "Me And My Dell" on-line manual:

Enabling a Webcam

1. Click Start → Control Panel → Device Manager

2. Click Imaging Devices and then double-click Camera

3. Click Enable

The webcam is now enabled.

Open the webcam software to use all features of the webcam.

----------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online