Solved: no wifi adapter in hardware

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

awakeinny1

I am working on a Dell inspiron 1420 with a service tag of 5XFMSF1, and an express service code of 12905552989. I had to reformat the drive and re install windows vista. I have it done and now i cant get the WiFi card to work. When i go into device manager it doesn't show any wireless adapters. I loaded all the drivers from the disc that were allowed but when trying to load any of the wireless drivers on the resource cd i get device not found. I checked in BIOS and see that wireless is in fact enabled. Please help !

TerryNet

Terry
What, if any, devices in Device Manager are flagged with a warning or error?

awakeinny1

Under network adapters there is Broadcom NetLink (TM) Fast Ethernet which is functioning properly and also there is Other Devices--Network Controller which is flagged. There are no other flags in the device manager. I tried reinstall driver on that one and it searched for an hour without a result

TerryNet

Terry
The "Other Devices--Network Controller" is surely the wireless adapter. Download and install from Dell's web site the latest driver for it. If you do not know what adapter it is ...

From an etaf (Wayne) post:

How to identify hardware in Device Manager

right click on the device with a yellow!

from the menu choose
properties
Click on the Details Tab
Under the Property - drop down
Select hardware ids
Right click and select all
Then right click again and select copy
Copy and paste that information here

You should see a code similar to this

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_008A&SUBSYS_53058086&REV_34

please reply with the full code for your device(s)

The portion of the code highlighted in RED is the Vendor ID and the portion highlighted in GREEN is the Device ID. In this example:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_008A&SUBSYS_53058086&REV_34

Vendor ID = 8086
Device ID = 008A

Post back those two numbers make sure we know which is vendor ID and which is device ID

These codes can be looked up at this site http://www.pcidatabase.com/

As an example the link for that database tells us that;
Vendor ID code 8086 is for this vendor - Intel Corporation
Device ID code 008A is for this device - Intel Centrino Wireless-N1030

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online