1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No Wireless Connection - Doesn't turn on?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Techie Noob, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Techie Noob

Techie Noob Thread Starter

I'm running WinXP and last night I was browsing via my wireless. After the system went into standby when it came out there was no wireless connection...?

I have a Compac Presario V6000, and when I turn the switch on, the light doesn't turn blue like it normally would. If I pull up my network connections there is my LAN connection but it doesn't even show a wireless connection...

HELP!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    First thing I would do is reboot the computer. Next is to check Device Manager for the wireless card and for any errors.

3. Techie Noob

I've rebooted several times and I can't find a wireless card or anything in my device mgr...?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is it the wireless thats built into the laptop or a PCMCIA or USB adapter?

Are there any errors in Device Manager or any unknown devices?

You can also check the BIOS to see if the wireless card is enabled or disabled, most laptops don't give that option but its still worth checking anyway.

Lastly the wireless card in most laptops(internal card) is a mini PCI card and in many laptops can be accessed by a small panel on the bottom of the laptop. Maybe for whatever reason it needs to be reseated in its slot.

5. Techie Noob

It's on onboard wireless card I assume. When I turn the switch on, it doesn't do anything. I haven't opened this up yet to pull/reseat the card, as it was working one minute, and then I left the system for an hour maybe and came back, and it was gone... not working.

6. Techie Noob

So I opened up my case and I took the HD out and reseated it. Took the broadcom card out and re-installed it.... still no dice.

One thing that isn't happening is when I click on the HP wireless assistant it doesn't open. it's like it isn't installed... or running? I desperately need to get this fixed...

please help.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You shoudl be able to reinstall the HP wireless assistant from the HP website as well as the Broadcom wireless drivers.

Can you post a screen shot of Device Manager with the Network section expanded?

8. Techie Noob

I'll check the web site and in the mean time here's the screen shot:

[​IMG]

9. Techie Noob

I've DL'd the wireless assistant and newest Broadcom drivers.... and still nothing...

I'm getting VERY frustrated. My wired connection still works, but no wireless and I'll need this next week as I'll be in a Hotel with only a wireless connection.

PLEASE HELP!

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Your wireless card may be dead if its not being detected at all. Any warranty?

11. Techie Noob

turns out this is a VERY common occurance with my model Laptop and it's been shipped to HP to have the motherboard replaced as the original ones had some issues with the wireless cards I believe... but this is fixed... solved!

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well thanks for letting us know the solution (y)

13. Techie Noob

Got my laptop back Friday, and it's all fixed. Now to reload all my files...

Thanks Triple6~!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!