1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No wireless connection even though it says "connected; signal strength excellent"

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TWoods, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TWoods

TWoods Thread Starter

We have a Belkin router hooked up to our desktop and cable modem, and two laptops using that wireless connection. As of tonight, all our computers are failing to make this connection. I'm online now thanks to an unsecured connection I was able to hook into.

The icon in the lower right of the screen tells us, "Signal Strength: Excellent; Status: Connected." What could possibly be going wrong?

This isn't a problem with Wireless Zero Configuration, incidentally; my wife had that problem in the past, but that isn't it. Our three computers all insist we're connected just fine, yet no websites will come up on any of them.

Any theories? How could I even know where to begin?

Thanks.

2. jmwills

jmwills

You machine sees the signal but it is not authenticating becasue of security reasons. You must have the correct SSID name and any passwords set to the signal.

3. TWoods

TWoods Thread Starter

What I don't understand is how this could suddenly have happened on all three computers with no apparent cause. They were working fine earlier today.

I also wouldn't have any idea how to make a fix such as you suggest, and as I say, I don't see why every single computer would suddenly be out of sync with the router. Any ideas?

4. jmwills

jmwills

If all three lost connection then I would say the router needs to be reset with you original settings.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you are connected to your router, access its status page and see what it's saying about your internet connection. You may indeed be connected with all 3 computers to the router, but the router or modem may not be connected to your ISP. What do the LEDs on the modem and router tell you? Have you called your ISP to see if they are having known problems?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436743

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice