1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No "Wireless Connection" Icon

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ChippyX18, Jun 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ChippyX18

ChippyX18 Thread Starter

Hello! So here's what all happened....

My dad brought home a used laptop he bought. When he gave it to me to fix, it was in terrible conditions. None of the programs would open, task manager wouldn't open (clearly a sign of malware) and it had stupid McAfee installed. So what I decided to do first was try to get rid of the malware. Then after that finished, I decided that it might be better to reinstall Windows 7. I pulled out my Windows 7 installation disk and let it sit there while the OS reinstalled. When it was over, I came across the error that it wouldn't connect to the internet. I tried going to Networking and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings but *bam* there is no "Wireless Connection" or "Local Area Connection" icon. There is only a bluetooth one. I tried to install drivers, but I can't since it cannot access the internet and to make things worse, it won't read my flash drive (I'm guessing I need USB drivers too)

So what should I do???

Info about the laptop:
    Dell Inspiron N5110
    Processor: Intel Core i3
    In device manager: Ethernet controller, network controller, PCI Simple Communications Controller, SM Bus controller, and Universal Serial Bus (USB) controller have yellow exclamation points.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    is the windows 7 for this PC
    did you use the Key on the CoA label stuck on the PC

what is written (not the key) on the CoA , what windows version

also can you post the service tag number - also should be on a sticker on the PC

there is a possibility the used laptop was broken ?

3. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Like Etaf said post the service tag and we can link you the drivers. If you have a yellow exclamation mark thats good cause means computer is detecting these items however you need drivers. do you have another working PC and a stick drive to copy the files from one to the other?

4. ChippyX18

ChippyX18 Thread Starter

The service tag is 8WCLWP1

Where do i locate the COA? At the bottom of the laptop, there is a sticker with two barcodes, and to the side it says "Certificate of Authenticity. Label not to be sold separately" and then on that same sticker is the product key.

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  6. ChippyX18

ChippyX18 Thread Starter

Windows product...? You mean the edition? It is Windows 7 Home Premium OA

7. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
  8. ChippyX18

ChippyX18 Thread Starter

Ok... So how am I supposed to install it on the laptop if it wont even detect my flash drive or access the internet??? Am I supposed to burn the driver onto some disk?

9. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    if it wont detect your USB either then yes burn to a DISK, however wait until you have ALL the files UNLESS you have a REWRITABLE CD or DVD.

10. ChippyX18

ChippyX18 Thread Starter

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if you are putting onto a CD - you may as well download all the drivers for that machine - then you have them all available on the CD
    you will need drivers for all these

12. ChippyX18

ChippyX18 Thread Starter

Could you possibly help me locate the PCI SCC, SM Bus Controller, and USB controller drivers? I am having a really difficult time locating them. I found the first two, but i need the 3 mentioned.

13. ChippyX18

ChippyX18 Thread Starter

Never mind. I went ahead and downloaded what I thought were the correct drivers from the Dell website and that didn't work. I was tired of it, so I decided to see if Ubuntu would work (I thought maybe different OS might do the job) and it did. The laptop can finally detect networks and connect to the internet.

Thanks for the help!

14. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
  15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1101044

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice