1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No wireless connection - missing WLAN icon on taskbar.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by comp.idiot, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. comp.idiot

comp.idiot Thread Starter

I inadvertantly disabled the WLAN connection so that I don't have any way to connect to a wireless signal. It was dumb move on my part - I was trying to remove unwanted icons on the taskbar. I didn't realize the WLAN had anything to do with wireless connections.

Can anyone walk me through getting this going again?

2. Callum_Dawson

Callum_Dawson

Right-Click your network icon in taskbar. Then click "Network & Sharing Center". Then click "Manage Network Connections". Then right-click the connection that needs fixing then click "Enable".

3. comp.idiot

I should have told you before that I am running XP and am using the classic style desktop. Is the network icon you are talking about the single little TV set looking thing. if so the only choices I find when right clicking is:

- change windows firewall settings
    - open network connections
    - repair
    - veiw available wireless networks

That's it. I didn't see either of the two choices you mentioned.

I am using my own wireless router so that I can use my laptop anywhere in my home.

4. vicks

vicks

Go into the control panel, select network connections. Then create a new connection.
    If all you did was remove the icon, you can also click on start>connect to>show all connections. If the icon is still there you can right click on it and send it to your desktop, drag/drop it to the quick launch in the task bar. It should show on the right hand side of the task bar only when it has been activated.
    Good luck
    Let us know how it goes.
    Vicks

5. miklc

miklc

Start> Connect to> show all wireless connections.

6. Callum_Dawson

Callum_Dawson

Sorry but your topic title confused me on my post, "No wireless connection - missing wlan icon on taskbar". Are you looking for how to enable a connection, make your icon visible or both?

7. comp.idiot

I was able to get it connected via wireless. I found the WLAN connection and was able to enable it. I also now have the icon on the taskbar. I'll never do that again. Thanks for the help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/865238