1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No wireless connection on notebook

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rne783, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rne783

rne783 Thread Starter

Hello everybody!

I recently switched my 2 desktops, one from wireless to hard wired, and the other from hard wired to wireless. Everything seems to be running smoothly, and I haven't had any real problems with the 2 desktops.

However, I have a notebook, which was connecting fine before the switch, now does not connect at all.

It does SAY it is connected to the Linksys router, and the connection strength is "excellent", but I can not get online. I keep getting the "www.google.com could not be found" error box.

When I go into Wireless Network Connection Status, it says status is connected, network is linksys, speed is 11.0mbps, signal strength is all 5 bars.. but under "activity" it says Packets being sent is 183 and packets being recieved is 27. Is that bad?

Any suggestions would be appreciated :D

Thanks!

Renee

2. neilwltr

neilwltr

try refreshing your Wireless and re-conecting, or shut down the wireless PC and re-boot

3. rne783

rne783 Thread Starter

Did that. I even went into properties and removed that connection from the list, then put it back. Is it just that the signal is to weak? Does that low number of recieved packets mean anything?

4. neilwltr

neilwltr

try a speedtest on the connection:
    www.speakeasy.net/speedtest
    and click on "Seatle" if the speed is the same as the wired PC no worries.

5. rne783

rne783 Thread Starter

Can I do this speed test without being online?? I can not get online remember.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Router brand and model? Notebook brand and model? Notebook's wireless adapter brand and model? What encryption are you using?

What changes, if any, did you make to the router's wireless configuration between when the notebook connected and now?

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

7. rne783

rne783 Thread Starter

Ok, well this is really strange. There seems to be a problem opening the ipconfig window. I type it in like you said "ipconfig / all" and then hit ok, and then the window with the black screen opens, but for like a second, then it closes. I did this over and over and it just keeps basically flashing the screen and then closes. Then I tried this on my desktop that I am using right now, and the same thing happened. Is this normal?

To answer your other questions, the model router is Linksys Wireles B BEFW11S4, the notebook is an HP Intel Celeron M, OS is XP Home. Wireless adapter is Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN. Encryption is disabled.

8. rne783

rne783 Thread Starter

Ok so I did the cmd thing again and it worked this time.

Here are the results:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Lori>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : HPLaptop
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-A5-14-9A-42
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.10
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 38.9.212.2

C:\Documents and Settings\Lori>

9. rne783

rne783 Thread Starter

I think I may have just fixed the problem. I just changed the DNS server adresses to match the ones on the other desktops and it seems to be working now. I noticed they were different and decided to give it a shot, and I suppose that probably was a rather important piece of information I was missing. So I am assuming that before I did the switch, there was a different DNS adress than there is now, and I just hadn't switched the notebook to match, or, it just switched all by itself for no good reason.... :D

All of this is just so confusing to me even after all these years, but I suppose now I get a better understanding of it all.

Thanks for your help once again!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645598

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice