1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No wireless connection to connect to?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by roshamboe, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. roshamboe

roshamboe Thread Starter

Ok so i have this Dell Laptop that i got from my uncle. I don't know the model of it but if somebody can help me find it that would be great. Anyway i am trying to connect it to my home wireless network and its not detecting any sort of wireless network. In fact, there is no Wireless Network Connection icon in the Network connections folder in control anel. I have no clue on how to make that icon appear, somebody help me please.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Look for a label on the bottom of the computer for the model name and number. You may also be able to get the model number my right clicking on "My Computer" and selecting "Properties" from the pop-up menu.

Depending on the age and model of the computer, it may not have come with built-in WiFi.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please bring your signature into compliance.

What is listed in Device Manager under Network Adapters? What, if any, warnings or errors are anywhere in Device Manager?

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the 7-character "service tag number" on the sticker on the bottom of the case?

Answer the questions in post #3.

Post #2 brings out a good point. If that laptop is several years old, it may not have built-in wireless.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

5. roshamboe

roshamboe Thread Starter

the lap top connect to wifi before i reformatted it thats how i know that it hould be connecting,
    the service tag is 2D0FP51
    The model number is PP02X
    When i go into device manager there is nothing that says "Network Adapters" there is a bunch of yellow uninstalled devices which are Base system Device, Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Audio Controller, Network Controller, PCI Controller, and Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Assuming the laptop has no wired or wireless networking ability, use another computer to visit the tech support section of the Dell web site. Enter the service tag number and you should get a list of all drivers needed for that computer. There will also be instructions on how to install them. Download all of the drivers to a USB drive or burn them to a CD. Then use the USB drive or CD to install on the laptop.

You could have saved all of us from wasting time by mentioning that detail in your original post.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thank you for updating your signature. :)

Use that Service tag on Dell's web site to find the drivers for your system. Unless they specify a specific order install the chipset, then networking and then all other drivers needed.

Obviously you'll need to use another computer to download at least the chipset and networking and copy by removable media.

8. roshamboe

roshamboe Thread Starter

im am very sorry for wasting your time thanks for your help

9. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Let us know if you have any problems installing the drivers or if everything went smoothly.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Not a problem. I doubt that Chuck meant that comment as harshly as it sounded. If we had known earlier that it had a wireless adapter and that you had (wisely!) formatted and installed fresh we may have moved more quickly to helpful advice.

Please post if that doesn't solve it, and if it does ...

You can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page.

11. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Sorry about coming across a bit harsh. Not sure if a smiley at the end would have helped any. :)

12. roshamboe

roshamboe Thread Starter

haha its cool, well i installed the drivers necessary and it shows the wireless icon in the bottom right but its not detecting my connection.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is the wireless switched on (Fn + F2 key combination should toggle it)?

Detecting any networks?

What wireless utility are you using (e.g., XP's WZC, Dell WLAN, Intel Proset, ...)? And are you sure no other one is running?

14. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Does the Device Manager look normal now and doesn't have a question mark or exclamation mark next to any entries?

What's listed now in the Network Adapters heading?

----------------------------------------------------------------

15. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Does your wireless router or access point have 802.11g or 802.11b support enabled? The M4479 wireless card in the computer will not find it if your wireless network is configured for 802.11n only.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976803

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice