1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: no wireless networks detected

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Lexsar, Mar 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lexsar

Lexsar Thread Starter

Getting a message "No wireless networks detected" when I try to view wireless connections. But I know (from another laptop available) that there are several wireless networks available. The one I want to connect to has a very strong signal. Verified TCP/IP settings (automatically obtain IP address/DNS). Other laptop sees connections and connects just fine.

Tried uninstalling wireless card and rebooting but getting same results. Tried updating driver, same results. Ran winsockxpfix. Ran ispfix (no errors found).

If I hardwire into the router, I get a great connection. Wireless...no connections found.

Any suggestions?

2. gurutech

gurutech

Check to make sure you don't have the WZC utility running along with the wireless card's own utility. If you have both running you will need to disable one of them.

3. Lexsar

Lexsar Thread Starter

WZC is running but no other utilities appear to be running for this built-in wireless (Broadcom). Stopped & restarted WZC service but still no joy.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Is it an integrated wireless adapter? If so, is it switched on or off?

5. Lexsar

Lexsar Thread Starter

It is an integrated adapter and it appears to be on. There are the normal icons present in the systray for wired and wireless connections. The wireless icon has a red "X" on it. There is a balloon message that says "Wireless Network Connection is not connected. Wireless network unavailable." If I right click on this icon and choose "View Available Wireless Networks" I get the Wireless Network Connection window containing text that says there are no wireless networks available. However, if I fire up my other laptop, I can see 3 or 4 available networks and can login to unsecured ones.

6. Lexsar

Lexsar Thread Starter

Turns out this was the problem. I assumed that the integrated wireless adapter was turned on but it was not. There was a keyboard switch that needed to be switched on. THANKS for your help!

These boards are invaluable!

(y)

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Glad you found it. Usually there is a (blue) LED that indicates the wireless state.

You can mark this 'solved' using the Thread Tools at the upper right.

8. Lexsar

Lexsar Thread Starter

Thanks again, I appreciate the help. Sometimes it's something simple....

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/549650