1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No wireless nic found in compaq presario 2100 laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeyG, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

I just finished a re-install of XP on a Compaq Presario 2100 Laptop, Now I have no wireless access capabilities what so ever.. I don't even see a switch to turn the antenna on.. And there is no wireless card to enable via the GUI in network connections. The LAN card works fine. And They said it did have wireless access before I did the re-install. I have a feeling I am making a simple mistake, Such as turning the antenna on, via a control / F? button, However I do not see any antenna logo's, switches or lights of any kind.. As always appreciate your input..

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you installed the wireless drivers? Check Device Manager for missing drivers.

You can get the drivers for all the hardware to reinstall after an O/S reinstall from the Compaq site.

3. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

Oh I saved the drivers and thought I reinstalled them all, When Looked at the device manager there were no question marks.. However there is no Wireless Nic present either, It's like it doesn't exist, I will check their site, Maybe it's an executable.. THANKS, I'll let you know how it goes..

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No wireless switch on the front right hand corner? Or the FN key plus one of the F# keys? Is the wireless still enabled in the BIOS?

5. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

There is no physical switch on the front right hand corner, Though I see A Lite (Not lit of course), and there is no F button with any antenna like ogo's on it. Also There doesn't seem to be any Wireless choices in any of the BIOS choices. I downloaded two "Network Drivers' from Compaq and still no luck.. Do you think the card is smoked? I' m stuck ..Thanks For your help thus far..

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    And the wireless worked before reformatting? Is it an internal card yo have or a external USB or PCMCIA card for wireless?

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Joey:

What's the exact model number of that Compaq Presario 2100 series laptop? If you don't know for sure, advise what the product/part number on the sticker is.

You said there's no wireless adapter listing in the Network Adapters heading in the Device Manager. Is there an Other Devices heading, and does it have any listing in it?

--------------------------------------------------------------

8. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

The exact model is Compaq Presario 2100 Laptop. There was not any external USB adapters or PCMCIA cards. I am On the road right now but when I get back I will be sure to check "Other Devices" in the Device manager. I did not see any question marks, but I did not open Other devices to see if they have any questions or objects.. THANKS Fellas'

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Joey:

Look for a number on the sticker which looks something like DB954A#ABA. This will confirm the exact model number of that laptop. The HP/Compaq site has 2100US and 2100CA and 2100LA listed for model numbers. There is no 2100. If you look at this list, you'll see what I'm talking about. The 3 models that I checked show no built-in wireless adapter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

11. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

Gotcha.. OK will check everything out, and get exact number as soon as I get back.. That makes sense that it doesn't.. Cause I could find no signs of it.. But I will check the # and get back to you guys.. Thanks Again..

12. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

Sorry it took so long to get back to ya's.. It is a 2135US, My mistake. There are no missing driver's.. I think it never had a wireless NIC, just like you said. There is a sticker on here that says "link to wireless networks", However I think that must have been from a previous USB wireless adapter, and that's where their confusion of them thinking this had on-board wireless capabilities. I will simply get a USB wireless adapter and install it. THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP FELLAS' IT'S GREATLY APPRECIATED AS ALWAYS..

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Here are the hardware specs for the Compaq Presario 2135US laptop. That pretty much confirms it has no built-in wireless adapter. :eek:

Unless you have your own personal choice, I recommend this wireless adapter. (y)

----------------------------------------------------------------

14. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

That's what I'm using.. GOOD STUFF!!!! :)

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919820

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice