1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No XPF-format or incompatible version number

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ozegirl, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

System is an Asus EEE PC netbook with Windows 7 STARTER.

I have a 3rd party proprietary program which up until a week ago worked fine. The netbook was accidentally left on and the battery ran down so it shutdown irregularly.

This morning turned it on, plugged in and charged up, and the program did not start up normally but gave the error message and error log attached. Windows was updating also (20 updates), after which several restarts were done and the error still persists. Each time the error generates a new error log - the file number on the error changes slightly each time.

I suspect that it is a file or registry entry which has become corrupt due to the sudden shutdown. The question is: which one? I don't know enough to know what file might need replacing. I haven't tried re-installling the program as it seems to me to be a file related to the windows system itself, and re-installing the program is not straightforward as it is very customised and requires contacting the author of the program for re-registration of the licence - it's not just a matter of running an installation disc.

I am happy to put up any other error logs etc from the administration logs if required. This program is required for an integral part of our business so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  3. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

No, I saw that too on an internet search, but not running that program. Thanks anyway :)

4. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

I have finally solved this myself.

It appears that there was corruption in the registry as a result of the power shutdown.

I ran Chkdsk, fixed errors and re-installed the program into a new directory and it worked.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144898

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice