1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Nobody can tell me how to re-install my Contacts application?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by shpadre, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shpadre

shpadre Thread Starter

I posted this several days ago:

"I can't open my Contacts files with the normal application anymore - the application seems to have disappeared (although I still have my Contacts data - the files themselves, which I can open with something like WordPad, but the data is really hard to read then).

"How do I reinstall the application normally associated with Windows Vista Contacts files?"

Many people looked at my post and seemed to read it, but nobody has replied.

Can anybody tell me: Is there something I can re-install from my Vista CD? How do I do it?

2. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    I'm confused by the question. What "normal application" seems to have disappeared? Can you provide any other information/details? What are "Windows Vista Contacts files"? Are you referring to email address lists?

3. shpadre

shpadre Thread Starter

Further explanation/clarification: When I open my Contacts folder, I see .contacts files (I can see my data still - the names, addresses, phone numbers, etc. of all my friends and family). But when I try to open (double click on) one of these files (to see a different/full view of a contact), it doesn't open/display it in the traditional way (the way it did when I first got the computer). It now asks me how I want to open this .contact file and suggests WordPad. That is about the only way I can "open" one of these .contact files, but it's hard to read the data I want (I see the addresses, telephone numbers, etc., but there's a lot of extra info there too). I tried to tell Windows to open .contacts files with another program (I think the one I want is wab.exe), but this program seems to have disappeared from my computer all together.

Maybe I have not described the problem correctly - what is truly happening. But basically I need to know how to read a .contact file in Vista in something other than WordPad - what is the default way of Vista reading/displaying/allowing me to edit a .contact file and how can I get it back?

4. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
    Yeah, the one you want is 'wab.exe'. It should be in 'Program Files\Windows Mail' Is it still there?

5. shpadre

shpadre Thread Starter

No, wab.exe is not in that folder. I searched on my computer and it's nowhere to be found. It's part of the Vista OS, right? Can I re-install wab.exe from my backup Vista CD? Or where or how can I find it and put it back?

6. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
    I can email it to you if you want. Do not post your email address on this page though. PM me if you want.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759062

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice