1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Noisy Maxtor 6l250so Sata Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 1_rob_1, Jun 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1 Thread Starter

Does anyone know how to tone down the acoustics of this hard drive, while it is seeking it makes an annoying clicking noise.

I dont think it is a prob with this particular drive, Just a common problem with this model of drive.

I have tried amset, this only finds the ide drive and not the sata.

Any ideas?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Clicking, I don't know...the Maxtor's I've used lately have been fairly quiet. You sure its not failing? The latest bunch of Maxtor's run hot and fail at a higher rate then normal.

3. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1 Thread Starter

It does run hot.
    I have tested the drive & found no errors.
    It shouldnt be failing, it is a brand new drive.
    The clicking isnt a very loud clicking, but it is annoying. I have heard this type of clicking from older ide drives & it is quite normal for them. But for a new drive of the latest technology to make these noises doesnt seem right.
    I have read on other forums that these diamondmax 10 drives are noisy, but this can be fixed using amset. This seems only to work on ide drives though.

In the meantime, any ideas would be appreciated.

If I cant find a fix quickly, I will probably rma this drive & get a different make/model

4. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply Triple6, I have returned the drive & got a WD drive as a replacement.
    Hopefully this will be quieter.

5. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1 Thread Starter

WD drive runs silently, and is a lot cooler than the Maxtor. I think I'll try to steer clear of the new generation Maxtor drives for a while.

6. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

I have stayed away from Maxtor for a very long time now. I have found them to be nothing but trouble!

7. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1 Thread Starter

I've never been a great fan of Maxtor, I thought that they might have got better since they were taken over by Seagate, but obviously they haven't.

The specs for their drives are quite high and the prices low, and availability is good, but it seems that quality is poor.

I hope this doesn't rub off on Seagate!!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!