Solved: Non-Responsive Keyboard

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

stormbull

I have an HP Pavilion 8565C with Windows 98SE system. Suddenly, my keyboard is completely non-responsive. It is absolutely dead! My mouse (wireless) works correctly so I can use it to click on the start Icon on my desktop...which enables me to reach my various applications, etc. However, I cannot type a letter (Microsoft Office- Word), work on spreadsheets (Excel), etc.

I have tried Control Panel, Keyboard but found no clues. It did offer a tab for keyboard manager but, when I clicked on it, it said it couldn't find Keyboard Manager.

The Keyboard is an HP, Model No. SK-2506, designed to work on Windows 98. I purchased the computer, monitor and keyboard new from HP about 4 years ago. I use it now as a backup computer.

I also have a HP A850y computer, purchased this year. I have tried to use its keyboard on the HP 8565C but it also was completely dead.

Any guidance or suggestions would be appreciated!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It sounds like the PS/2 port for the keyboard may have died. I'm assuming these are PS/2 keyboards and not USB keyboards, right? You might be able to use a USB keyboard if the PS/2 ports are dead.

valis

have you tried using hte other keyboard on the other machine? Chances are if two keyboards don't work, JohnWill is right. But it's still good to eliminate everything.

stormbull

Both of you gentlemen were a great help. I tried another keyboard and it also did not function. I therefore assumed (per your posts) that the problem was a defective serial port. A man at a retail store told me that to replace a serial port would involve a new motherboard. Since I am not knowledgeable enough to attempt this, I took the alternate route and bought an inexpensive keyboard (15.00) at CompUSA with a USB hookup.

It now works fine and we just won't use the serial port.

Thanks for your help.

valis

glad to be of service, although all the credit should go to johnwill. If you are satisfied with the resolution, you can mark this solved under the 'thread tools' button at the upper right.

Hope to see you back.

v

When the system boots up, do you get any error messages such as
no keyboard connected etc... ??
during post, can you press DEL key to enter setup/cmos screen.
does the keyboard function here at all ??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online