1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Non-System Disk Error or Disk Error

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by john_lillie, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john_lillie

john_lillie Thread Starter

I didn't really know what forum this fitted into as I don't really know what the problem relates to!

Anyway, we recently got 6 Compaq 610 laptops. 4 work fine, 2 don't and have a Non-System Disk Error or Disk Error. The bios won't let us check the hard drive either.

A problem is the we got these with windows 7 pre installed and as a result don't have any disks for them other than old xp ones (so much for vista). When I put the xp recovery disk in but don't install xp, it starts up with windows 7. I can then restart the machine and windows 7 is fine. The issue only reappears when the computer is shutdown and then restarted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if you need more info let me know.

John

2. warrior19

warrior19

2 things might help:

In Windows 7 when its running go into the disc management console,(START --> Computer --> Rightclick with mouse and choose MANAGE) then in Disk Management Window Rightclick the primary partition and set the partition to active.
    Then reboot the system.

AND

Go into the BIOS but look for/ensure your system's boot priority is configured with the HDD as the primary/first boot device.

3. john_lillie

john_lillie Thread Starter

The company we got them off has now agreed to take them back and replace, thankfully!

Thanks for the info though warrior and I'll give it a try and feedback if it happens again on the others or the replacements.

John

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917054

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice