1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Non-System disk or disk error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adisx06x, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adisx06x

adisx06x Thread Starter

My friend's hp compaq 2710p gets this message every time we boot up his computer. He said this happened after he tried to restore the computer to factory settings and then noticing he didn't have recovery disks.

Non-System disk or disk error
    replace and strike any key when ready

When a key is pressed nothing really happens. We tried booting windows 7 through usb doesn't work.

I uploaded a couple of the images we see. I have the computer for now so any suggestions you guys have I shall try A.S.A.P.

Thx in advance.

Attached Files:

2. adisx06x

adisx06x Thread Starter

3. managed

managed Allan

Go into the Bios Setup and set Hard Drive as the first Boot device. Save and Exit. Does Windows start now ?

4. gberger

gberger

What steps did he take to try to restore to factory settings?

5. minimustangs

minimustangs

Good Ol' Compaq's. There are two reasons I recall this happens. The first one is easy, the boot drive doesn't have an OS at the expected location, so the BIOS chooses then next option. The 2nd one has to do with the way the NIC card (onboard) is set up. It's been a while since I've had my Compaq fired up, but I was able to suppress the message. There was a boot/BIOS option to turn PXE boot (network boot off). Unfortunately I can't remember which key you press ( I'm thinking F10 or F12), but I'm grasping. If you don't have a valid OS installed, it will probably try to PXE every time since there isn't anything to boot from. Solution is to reinstall O/S.

6. adisx06x

adisx06x Thread Starter

@managed still Dont work :(
    @gberger he went to the setup f10, security, and then disk sanitizer and then he clicked fast

7. adisx06x

adisx06x Thread Starter

@minimustangs I managed to turn off pxe off in system configurations in boot options... Still no avail... I'm just trying to reinstall windows from a USB (still gotta try windows on a cd) but that's still not working :(

8. managed

managed Allan

How did you make the Usb (stick ?) to install windows ? What version of windows ? Did you make it bootable ? Can that laptop boot a Usb stick ?

9. adisx06x

adisx06x Thread Starter

@managed i just put the iso file on the usb stick... I'm already thinking that was the wrong way to do it...

10. adisx06x

adisx06x Thread Starter

On the other hand, I managed to finally try to boot windows xp from a cd and it worked! I now have windows XP installed on the system....

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1074010