1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Noob question?

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by Tact, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tact

Tact Thread Starter

Ok, this might seem simple and you'll prolly laugh. but here we go.

How do i edit my websites in firefox? o_O

So i've come to terms with that fact that Firefox is more strict in how it displays html code and should be used to design websites over IE so that my sites can be viewed properly by more people. that's all fine and dandy.

but for some reason, i can't just right click on the page, and view sources and get to editing! (that's how i always used to make my sites in IE)

so...how do i do it? is there an option in settings i need to enable/disable or something?

(and no, i'm not so noob that the site is online. it's in my hdd. i can edit with IE but i wanna start using FF now cause it'll help me improve the quality of my code :p)

thanks in advance.

2. knight_47

knight_47

Just right click on a file that is on your hard drive, for example, index.html , and select open with notepad, and you can edit it from there, and then save and upload it.

3. VinceIP

VinceIP

You may be interested in this Firefox add-on. It's specifically designed for web developing in Firefox.

4. namenotfound

namenotfound

And after you install that extension, on the new toolbar click "view source" and then "edit view source with application". You can then specify which application you'd like to use, such as Notepad.

5. namenotfound

namenotfound

Oh and once you specify an application, it will be listed under "view source". Look at this screen shot, in my case I specified "crimson editor"

[​IMG]

6. Tact

Tact Thread Starter

thanks a lot. that's exactly what i needed. wow it's pretty neat. i can even add diffrent editing programs. like if i ever feel like using notetablite instead of regular notepad.

awesome. works great. thank you very much.

it's just as easy as rightclick>view source

7. namenotfound

namenotfound

If you still want to right-click, you can do that too. But the toolbar is easier than looking for the option in the context menu (especially if you added a bunch of extensions that add "extras" to the menu)

[​IMG]

8. knight_47

knight_47

But I don't understand how this will save the edited file to your server? You have to locate where the file was saved, and then upload it.

9. namenotfound

namenotfound

I think he's just looking for a way to edit the files offline.

But you can also upload the files to your server from within Firefox using FireFTP

10. knight_47

knight_47

Why would you want to edit the files off line though? What's the point of that??

11. namenotfound

namenotfound

People often edit their files offline, then upload them to the net. I edit my files offline as well.

Plus it's an easy way to keep a backup of your files (having one copy offline, and one online). Rather than just editing your files online with some kind of web editor (like the kind found in cPanel) and then having no files offline.

12. knight_47

knight_47

I edit my files offline also. but why would you edit it via the view source option for the web developer tool bar for FF?

Why don't you just go to the file on your hard drive, edit it, and then re-upload it. Instead of having to edit it, save it, over write it with the already existing file, then upload it...

13. namenotfound

namenotfound

That's what's happening. If it's a .html/.htm file, if you click on it on your computer, it will usually open in your default browser (unless you specify to have the files open in Notepad or something).

I know you can just right-click the file and choose "open with", or drag the file to the applications you want to edit it with, but this is just another way of doing it :)

14. Tact

Tact Thread Starter

Yah. I don't know how exactly. But that's how I learned.

i open my page in my browser so i can see the work i'm doing. then rightclick>view source to edit my work. ctrl+s saves it in nano seconds, f5 refreshes the page, and i can see the changes in less than a second. rince and repeat.

when i'm done. i just upload all the files i edited. it never asks me to overwrite confirm or whatever when editing. (it does when uploading) it just saves. if it was a simple edit like certain words, than yah i wouldn't really need to SEE the page to know i made the changes. however most of the editing i do is like visual stuff like (is this image too far into the center or is this table too wide) and annoying things like that where i always need to see my changes over and over going back and forth between notepad and browser.

i can't imagine a more effecient way. (except editing the files online with my ftp program but refreshing the ACTUAL page online is nanoseconds if not whole seconds slower than refreshing on my harddrive and that bothers me. plus i might be adding to my bandwitdh and that ain't good.

oh and yah, the backup thing. totally one of the other reasons why i'm thankful i happen to do it in that way. if my site ever dies online. it's as if nothing happend cause i could just upload the last changes i made in a jiffy. :p

thanks again to everyone. :p

15. knight_47

knight_47

Ohhh. Ok I see. I thought you would go to yoursite.com/pictures.htm, edit that, save it & over write it, then re-upload it.

But tact, why don't you just right click the file you want to edit, and select Open with > Notepad, so you don't even have to open it up in your browser.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543633

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice