1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Northbridge heat sink fell off!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gameman, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

I had something "interesting" happen today. While working on a system I heard a CLUNK. And the screen went off. Come to find out the northbridge heatsink (no fan just a simple heat sink held in place with 4 spring "arms") had fell off onto the video card.

Two of the hooks that hold the spring arms in place (the bottom two) came right off of the board. I found the cilps inside on the bottom of the case. It was quite suprising the say the least. Looking at the bottom of the heat sink it seems to have a foam sitck on are in a large circle leaving the center with remains of thermal greese compound. There is also some left on the center core of the north bridge chip.

Now I don't have the expertise to resolder the clips back onto the board. But I was wondering, since the heat sink is very light perhaps a piece of thermal tape would do the job. The northbridge chip has several exposed areas on the top similar to a few AMD chips. Should I apply the tape to the whole thing (and remove the foam type of area on the heatsink bottom that surrounds the thermal compound area)? Or just the center core like the thermal compound was before? I suspect that most thermal tape is not electrically conductive but I don't want to possibly cause problems down the road either.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

-GM

2. Compiler

Compiler

So the clips broke? Find replacement clips. Clean and re-apply thermal compound. A drop should do.

Concerned that the HS might have shorted out your video card.

I've seen NB HS/F units and even CPU sockets fail.

3. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Not the clips/bars on the heat sink itself but the U shaped pins that were attached to the motherboard there were 4 two on the bottom are gone. Yes I have that same concern. No way to know though until I have a way to reattach the heat sink. I have heard some people say that the old northbridge chips rarely overheat well I don't want to take that chance. Knowning my luck the chip will fry in a minute or two lol.

4. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

I used a stick on replacement heatsink/fan for my
    nforce 4 chipset.
    It uses thermal tape.
    Works fine.
    Just stick it on and press down a bit,then give it a few thermal cycles
    to properly seat.
    I used the stick on because I couldn't find a replacement that
    had the spring retainer.

5. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Hmm have any idea what brand/type it was? I purchased a set today and it does not appear to be strong enough. Heck a lot of it came off from the heat sink when I tried to remove the wax paper backing lol.

6. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Don't remember what brand.
    You have press down firmly,but not too hard.
    Then leave it and don't bump it till it has time
    to heat up and cool down a few times to get
    the tape to seat properly.
    If you don't plan on removing it in the future,
    you can clean the thermal tape off and use something
    like arctic silver thermal adhesive.
    That will glue it on permanantly.
    It cures like epoxy and still has good thermal conductivity.

7. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Ok thanks for the tip. I will give it a try.I also found some tape that may be stronger than usual and easier to do this: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7...are_AK-TT12-80.html?tl=g8c127s255&id=ttvb7eKx

I have thought of art silver adhesive but there are exposed areas on this northbridge, similar to a AMD processor. So I am reluctant to use something that contains silver (electrically conductive). If it didn't have exposed areas I might consider it. Although the idea of gluing it on perminately is questionable. Of course if the chip did go bad it is not something that is easily replaceable (or would want to) anyway.

-GM

8. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Ok I ordered the tape but until it arrives I need to pull data from that machine's main internal IDE drive. I have a external enclosure I am going to place the drive in. The question is should I run diagnostics (diskchk) on the drive since I killed the power rather quickly? Or being that the drive is moved into the enclosure, do more harm than good? The drive is FAT32 format currently with several partitions. Any thoughts/insights are appreciated.

-GM

9. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Shouldn't hurt to do check disk on it.
    Probably it's OK anyway.

10. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Thanks. That is what I thought as well, but wanted to double check. :)

11. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Well a update, I purchased the tape I mentioned in my previous post and it seem to be working. My first attempt did not leave it in place long enough and it fell off again promptly. I was smart this time and had a very thin piece of paper on the backside of the video card so it could not short anything out. I reapplied it and left the system horizontal for some time and ran it a few times as well. So far it seems to be holding. Thanks everyone for the info and assitance.

-GM

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!