1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Norton Antivirus Live Update Error

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by mledbetter22, Mar 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mledbetter22

mledbetter22 Thread Starter

I have Norton AntiVirus 2004 and Norton Internet Security 2004. When running Live Update recently, I received an error that will not allow me to update my virus definitions. The error reads as follows:

The following updates have been aborted:
    > Norton AntiVirus Virus Definitions has 1 aborted update(s).
    Reason:
    LU1875: This update failed during its preprocessing welcome text phase

Could someone please help me with this? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!!!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

AVG or Avast! update just fine, and they're free. ;) I've dumped all the Norton stuff here, got tired of dealing with their bugs and crashes.

3. mledbetter22

Should I just disable Norton AntiVirus, Norton Internet Security, or both? Should I remove these programs or just disable them?

Thanks!!

4. JohnWill

Well, I dumped them alltogether. NIS was a real bad actor, I've had two clients that had problems that could only be resolved by totally removing NIS from their machines.

5. Mike46

Mike46

Norton Internet Security 2004 was one of the worst products they ever put out, I do like Norton I use it on all 3 of my computers. I purchased Norton 2006 just the anti virus and have nothing but good things to say about it, they added some good features to this version including some anti spyware. Don't waste your money on the system works version or the Internet security version. If you are going to dump Norton 2004 remove it from your computer and reboot. Good Luck

If you really want a free anti virus program I have used this in the past and had good luck with it.

AntiVirĀ® PersonalEdition Classic
    for Windows 98/Me/NT/2000/XP
    Linux/FreeBSD/Solaris

http://www.free-av.com/

6. mledbetter22

In order to totally remove all of my Norton programs, should I just go to contol panel, add/remove programs and do it that way?

7. JohnWill

That's the first step, if that doesn't work, Symantec has "removal programs" to attempt to finish the task. The fact that they need "removal programs" for this task should tell you something. ;)

8. systempunk

systempunk

i have the same liveupdate problems so i went and got the NAV2006 removal program and i removed it. i never even thought about using it again.

9. supersam

supersam

Hi,

It could be the Trojan.Abwiz.F.

Go to the symantec site (www.symantec.com). At the top right hand side part, you will find the Search box that says "Search all of Symantec"..and type "LU1875" without the quotes. Click on the result found and follow instructions.

Sam.

10. Markov Zorro

Markov Zorro

I started getting this error on March 6, 2006. I did a google search on LU1875 and found a Symantec page indicating that the cause was the presence of a trojan on my machine. I downloaded the Trojan.Abwiz Removal Tool and ran it as directed. The Removal Tool came back with the answer that Trojan.Abwiz was NOT found on my C:\ drive. Live Update still fails with LU1875.(n)

11. Markov Zorro

Markov Zorro

A bold alternative: Some more digging led me to this option to Live Update, manually loading the latest virus dat file.
    Follow the instructions for Intelligent Updater:
    At http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...ExpandSection=1
    It worked. :)
    Now on to the endless virus scan.

12. Uriel-TOF

Uriel-TOF

Yes,

Symantec gives you three options to try.

Option 1
    You may see the LU1875 error message if your computer is infected by the Trojan.Abwiz.F threat. Download this and run it. If this doesn't work, try option 2.

Option 2
    Automatically download virus definitions with the Intelligent Updater. According to Symantec, you can only run this tool using Internet Explorer so you will have to quit using Firefox and bring the IE browser out of retirement for a moment. Click here and follow instructions.

Option 3
    Manually download virus definitions with the Intelligent Updater. Click here and follow instructions.

Goodluck.

13. johnstar

johnstar

I also ran the trojan tool and it did NOT find anything. I then manually updated the definitions, and although my definitions are now up to date - live update is STILL returning the LU1875 error.

I have Norton Internet Security that expires in May and I'm looking for an alternative but wonder if there really is a trojan that is not being found. I've run webroot window washer 5, Spybot, and have just installed the free Avast anti-virus program. If I stay with avast and uninstall Norton I'll still need a firewall. Any ideas on a good firewall program? Thanks!

14. Mike46

Mike46

15. Jimmie T.

Jimmie T.

This is all so familliar. The stories are all the same no infection, but update errors every time. Removal doesnt work, manual update, does but what a hastle. What is really going on here is that Semantec wants your $$$$$ for an upgrade. Yeah, that is the sad but true story. Do the research, no one have this virus, no one can remove what isnt there, the only solution after you try all the suggested ones, is to upgrade because 2004 is not supported. WHY STAY WITH THIS PRODUCT? This is completley underhanded marketing and needs to be exposed for what it really is. Please get the word out on this.
    Jimmie T.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/453014