1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Norton AV 2006

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by acameron, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. acameron

acameron Thread Starter

My uncle dnlded norton AV 2006 to replace 2003. Unfortunately it will not install. Now I am trying to find tech support for the product. I am not having any luck with this :(
    Everything on Symantecs support site seems to be either search this FAQ or run the automated tech support feature, neither of which answers my questions.

The OS on the pc in question is Windows ME. The symantec site states that AV 2006 does not play well with ME but does include a version of Norton AV 2005 for instalation. (since he would still be upgrading from 2003 to 2005 this is fine).

The program dnlded without any problems but when he tries to intall it he gets error saying Norton AV 2006 needs SP3 before he can run install. However SP3 (as far as I can tell anyway:D , IS installed)

So now 2 questions:

1. Is 2005 included with dnlded 2006 or just retail box 2006.

2. If not, does anyone here have an older version of Norton where they still have the toll free support # listed or know if there is at least a live chat tech support on the site somewhere that I missed?

Thanks

2. DCM1519

DCM1519

I had many similar problems years ago while still using Norton products. Finally, after hours of reinstallations etc. I took all Norton products off my computer and replaced them with far superior products that do not have these problems.

For an anti Virus, I use the free version of AVG and have never had a virus although it has caught a few as they try to get on my computer.

I would recommend that you do the same.

Getting the remnants of the Norton products is going to really be an ordeal and you will get no useful help from them.

3. acameron

acameron Thread Starter

Getting all of Nortons sheddings out of the PC I can handle...I used to use Norton myself:D

I have since switched to Avast! and I am very happy with it. My Uncle is happy with Norton since it is what was on the PC when he bought it, and when subscription is about to run out he just buys new version and installs (this has always worked for him untill now)
    The hard part seems to be how do I get help to try and fix and or how to return 2006 for a refund when there is no support available???????:confused:

4. DCM1519

DCM1519

The last Systemworks that I tried several years ago caused numerous problems and I noticed that they offered a money back guarantee within some number of days.

I returned it to them with a letter and promptly got a refund.

5. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

Norton 2003 is famous for not removing itself completely. The left ove fragments interfere with any installation of a newer Norton product.

You need to go to the Symantic website and find the removal tool for Norton 2003. Run that tool following the directions, and then the installation of the Norton 2005 or 2006 should work.

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

7. acameron

acameron Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies. (and the links:) )

Does anyone know if 2005 is included with the download of 2006? Or just the retail box of 2006? If it isn't, (and I really don't think it is:mad: ) does anyone know how to get a refund from a download at the symantec store?

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Even after you use the NAV 2003 removal tool, there is still tons of stuff left over in the registry, as well as your user profile. I'm with the other folks that have left Norton's bloated and buggy stuff behind for leaner and better performing products. :)

9. DCM1519

DCM1519

When I removed SystemWorks several years ago, I had similar problems and actually talked to someone at Symantec. They recommended their "tool" for removal so I tried it. It did not help.

After trying everything I could think of, I finally delected the program from the C:\program files directory, did a windows explorer search on "Symantec", "Norton", "Systemworks" etc. Got rid of everything it found and even this did not get rid of everything.

Next, I used Regedit and deleted all files with any of those words in them and there were 200-300 of them. It really took a long time.

If you get to that point, try "Registrar Lite" (freeware) in place of Regedit. It brings up all references to the word you are searching and you can delete some or all of them. Regedit requires you to find and delete them one at a time.

10. TOGG

TOGG

11. acameron

acameron Thread Starter

Sorry it took this long to reply, I had a busy weekend. I appreciate the quick responses. I did get to talk to a live person at symantec (thanks to a couple of the links above) and the dnlded version of 2006 does not include 2005 just the retail box does.

Anyway, now my uncle is waiting on his refund from symantec and once that is done he will decide on just paying for another year of 2003 updates or buying 2005.

dmullen, I too have grappled with removing all of Norton from a pc and the registry. and cleaning up the registry does take a long time, thanks for the registry editor link :D . I don't know if I will need it or not but it is a good tool to have anyway.

I stopped using norton about 2 years ago. I now use Avast and have had no problems since.

Thanks for all of the help, I am going to mark this thread solved, I know if I get stuck anywhere else you guys will be here.

acameron

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437551

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice