1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Norton Ghost: Backing up from Fat32 and Restore to NTFS

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by JohnQ, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JohnQ

JohnQ Thread Starter

Hello,

I've got an Acer Aspire 3620 laptop with an 80GB Hard Drive and Fat32. The recovery partition or recovery DVD will always restore the laptop to factory condition using Fat32 to format the hard drive.

I was wondering, would I be able to create a Norton Ghost image of a clean factory install on Fat32, and then use that to restore my computer after having newly formatted my hard drive with NTFS?

I'd appreciate any help you could give me. Thank you.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I'm going to say no.

3. DVOM

DVOM

And I'll second that "no".

AND THE "NO'S" HAVE IT!

Actually, the problem with your scenario is that Ghost clones the file system along with the OS. So you can restore a Ghost image onto an unformatted partition and it'll work. Also if you restore a FAT32 Ghost image onto an NTFS partition, you'll end up with a FAT32 partition.

What you could do is to do your new install, then convert it to NTFS, then Ghost it.

4. JohnQ

JohnQ Thread Starter

Thanks for letting me know so I didn't waste my time.

What I ended up doing was converting the file system to NTFS after the factory restore. Seeing as how it only took 20 seconds, and I haven't noticed any slowdowns or problems, I guess I could just do it this way in the future.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Now make an image of the NTFS installation on DVD's or another drive with Acronis or another ghoster and remove your recovery partition altogether to make more room. You'll already have the NTFS when you restore that one.

In addition, and this is really the big one, you will be able to restore to a new hard drive if (when) it fails.

6. JohnQ

JohnQ Thread Starter

I think I'll probably go ahead and do that as well. I got rid of my recovery partition a while ago because I had already made a recovery DVD.

The reason I have been doing all this is because my original 60GB hard drive failed and I put in a new 7200rpm Seagate 80GB.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Then you have already had the experience and you don't need any further prodding :D.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!