Solved: Norton Keeps my e-mail from working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tbwoods

This just started happening.

I can't send or recieve e-mails with Norton Utilities enabled.

I disable it and everything works fine. I did not have this problem yesterday. Today I did a full system scan with Spybot, Adaware, and Norton and cleaned up a few things. Maybe this did it.

Anyone have any suggestion? I'd greatly appreciate any help offered.

TBwoods

tbwoods

Bush Lady,

I've never had a problem with Norton. Just upped my subscription for 2 more years about 2 weeks ago. Can I run avast to detect a problem in Norton?

I'm hesitant to change but if that's what I have to do, I will.

tbwoods

Bush Lady,

One more thing. I need firewall, and Parental controls that Norton offers. Do you know if avast has these features?

I've had virus's in my computer that Norton didn't find. I downloaded Avast and ever since I have no problems with virus. You will know if you have a virus in your computer, when you have to register with avast and try to get a registration number. If your Outlook Express doesn't let you do anything. Then you have a virus in your Outlook Express.

But if you can't get into your Outlook Express it is possible that you have a virus. What I had to do when I had this problem. I went onto Yahoo and opened up a e-mail account. It is free. And from there you can Register with Avast.

If you are using Windows XP, you should have Service Pack 2. There is a firewall and pop-up blocker there.

I've had Norton and Avast on my PC. Avast was able to get rid of a virus that Norton could not detect... but when you run Avast, you have to disable Norton. Eventually, I had to get rid of Avast because many people on this site told me that two anti virus on the same PC was not a good thing. And, uninstalling Avast is not all that easy to do. You cannot do it using uninstall function of Microsoft. You have to get a program from Google.
Shamou

If I were him, I would disable Norton because if you read some of the posts from others a lot of people like Avast. I will tell you that Avast is the best. I have no problems at all.

tbwoods

My firewall security level is the same as you have shown.

Does anyone know if Avast has parental controls where I can regulate internet viewing content? Or any other program to do that if I disable Norton?

Hello TBwoods,
Glad that everything is back to normal (specially after paying for two years with Norton.)
Now, using the "Thread Tools" menu at the top of this thread, you may want to declare this thread "solved."
Shamou:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online