1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Norton or AVG anti virus software?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by reality6337, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. reality6337

reality6337 Thread Starter

I was wondering which one people think is better. I love Norton but my partner swears on AVG. Any advice? :rolleyes:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Go with AVG or another free one. Not only are they free, but the popular AV's are the first ones viruses de-activate. Just take a look at virus infection posts---most people were running Norton. I dumped Norton because it used too much CPU on my old machine (a common complaint) and never looked back :D. Using a lesser-known one is probably safer. Updates on the free ones may be a day behind, but that is not significant, I don't think.

3. killah

killah

AVG all the way!

4. reality6337

wow Elvandil, I never looked at it that way. makes sense though.

5. xgerryx

xgerryx

6. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

Norton is crap and should be avoided just as much as IE.

Also most computers with Norton installed on it are old and or the definition files are out of date. (usually because the subscription has ended). Most just get norton with a computer purchase and a 6 month trial.

Norton is such a resource hog too. It's pretty bad when it has to run so many services and install files all over the place. Uninstalling is very messy.

I've lost track of how many times I've had to uninstall Norton for people because of all the problems it causes with the sytem and messing up web pages (in security suite)

There's nothing good about Norton. You'll find many thread on these forums where the problem turned out to be Norton.

AVG is just great.

Avast is great, but the UI is horrible

7. xgerryx

xgerryx

That's true

8. smash

smash Banned

avg for the last 4yrs great

9. reality6337

guess my question is answered. Thanks all!!!

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

LOL. Pretty hard to get the people around here to come out of their shells and express an opinion, eh? [​IMG]

11. reality6337

lmao yes I noticed how quiet everyone is. Elv? if you have a minute can you look at my hijack log? I was working on it all day with someone but then he had to go.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!