1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Not able to install Avast Free Antivirus

Discussion in 'General Security' started by sid_tech, May 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sid_tech

sid_tech Thread Starter

Hi

As soon as I try to install Avast Free Anti Virus my system(Win XP) reboots without giving any error message.

I have already ran Dial-a-fix, MBAM n Trojan remover.

2. Smartguy01

Smartguy01

First Name:
    Ivan
    Is the install package from the official site?

3. sid_tech

sid_tech Thread Starter

yes

4. golferbob

golferbob

what antivirus program did you have on your system before ?

5. sid_tech

sid_tech Thread Starter

none

6. golferbob

golferbob

7. sid_tech

sid_tech Thread Starter

As I mentioned in my first post ...... I am not able to install avast then how come there's a question of uninstalling it.

8. tech_mark

tech_mark

Reformat your computer. You may experienced that all anti virus website is offline beacuse it blocks by the malware.. especially the sality.. it spread to your files... Iadvice to reformat your computer and install Avast and I advice also to install deep freeze to avoid entering the virus in your computer.

9. Smartguy01

Smartguy01

First Name:
    Ivan
    NO! MAN! What is your problem??!? He can't install a anti-virus program and you suggest him to format his disk?! I must leave my manners out: ARE YOU INSANE?!? God o_O

sid_tech, I would like to see a HijackThis log:

Click here to download HJTsetup.exe: http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/HJTSetup.exe
    Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.

Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
    Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
    Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
    Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
    Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
    Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
    DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required

And don't format anything -.-

10. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

What I believe the person helping you (sid_tech) is thinking, is there may have been a partial install that is keeping you from installing Avast. There may be a security program that you are not aware of, or some remants that can do the same blocking a new install. This does happen, and one way to rule this out or to fix the issue, is to use the Avast Uninstall utility, which may let the program get installed for you. The Hijackthis log is used to see the possible other security programs, or something that may be causing problems, so i suggest you do post that log.

If it doesn't work, then we go on to the next step.....welcome to tech work world!(y)

11. sid_tech

sid_tech Thread Starter

Hi to all who replied and tried to help me.

I ran Hijackthis and did the analysis for the same everything was fine.
    The next step was running Combofix.exe ........ still no go
    Then I ran Spyware Doctor ..... it detected and removed all the infections including Sality which was large in number.
    Spyware Doctor seems to fixed my problem b'coz after that I was able to run Avast

I scanned using it detected ~ 5000 infected files on my PC.

Now my PC is fine.

Once again thanks a lot to all who replied to this thread.

Finally I would say that Spyware Doctor is a good s/w to remove most of the threats.

12. Stoner

Stoner Banned

hmmmmm....after finding that many infected files and and the reality of the situation always leaving a doubt as to whether all infections/trojan/rootkits are actually gone....I suspect that tech_mark's advice was probably pretty good......start with a clean slate.

You being a professional in the computer game of repair with a personal TSG bio that looks like spam ( your bio is actually advertising ) should realize that, ( imo, of course).
    http://forums.techguy.org/members/594176-sid_tech.html

With no anti-virus app and ~5000 infections, I have to wonder if you have been rootkitted on the software and/or hardware level.

Although several years out of date....this should give you an idea of what I mean:
    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/hardware-based-rootkit-detection-proven-unreliable/109

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit
    excerpt>

~5000 infections that you knew about, eh?

BTW....was that your computer or a customer's?

13. sid_tech

sid_tech Thread Starter

@ Stoner
    Its just an attempt to help those people who are not techie enough to follow the instruction given by experts. I charge $20.00 with a NO FIX NO FEE guarantee... irrespective of the issue or time it takes to fix it.
    I am not leaving my number or url in the posts.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/925165

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice