1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Not connected, Oh Yes I Am.

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Dingus, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Hi folks. I'm posting for a friend so any questions may take time to answer.
    Can anyone tell me why a PC would give these prompts when there is a good connection.

MSN Messenger - We were unable to sign you into the .NET Messenger service, possibly because of a problem with your internet connection. Please try again later. 0x81000370

And

Win MX - it says that its finding network connections and to wait before doing any searching or downloading. It just stays like that.

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

For MSN Messenger, it could either be their servers or you could try this:

1. Disable your 'auto-detect' settings on your browser. For Internet Explorer users, click the IE Tools menu, click Internet Options, click the Connections tab, click the LAN Settings button, and then clear the 'Automatically Detect Settings' box.

2. Check for a false proxy setting. On the MSN Messenger Tools menu, click Options. On the Connection tab, be sure the 'I use a proxy server' check box is clear. This option should only be selected if your network administrator tells you to do so.

If you have a firewall, you may need to adjust some of your settings.

As for WinMX, we can't really supply any info there. Against the rules here:

P2P Instructions - The purpose of P2P is to illegally trade copyrighted material. We do not support the use of P2P networks and any threads requesting help for them will be closed. This includes Kazaa, Bearshare, and the like. If you're interested in the topic, you are free to discuss it on our site (and please visit StealingIsIllegal.com), but information on how to use them will not be provided.

3. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Not only did I not know this was illegal but I guess her dad didn't either..... he's a cop. I'll need to advise her.

4. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

I passed the info on....... I'm no longer the most popular guy on the block.
    That aside, she tried your suggestion but without success.
    If you have any further hints to try.

5. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

FYI P2P isn't in itself illegal. It still is a great way for a community to share files in my opinion. The problem is its majority uses it for nefarious purposes. I hate that support for these programs goes down the tubes just because of others actions with the software. That in my opinion is like shooting a gun manufacturer because someone else decided to go out and kill (oh wait they are doing very similar things like that these days too)

Just my 2 cents on p2p

As far as the problem can you tell me how the network is laid out? Is this one PC ICS's the second PC Is this 1 PC off a router? When you say good connection what constitues a good connection? A ping reply? Able to browse internet sites?

6. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Her ISP is AOL, which she can connect to and send Emails and browse OK.
    When she tries to use IE for example she gets a no connection warning. She may have other programs she ain't told me about.
    She's not on a network. Just one PC, DSL connected.
    Remember, she's only a kid, so her explanations ain't perfect.

7. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Hrmmm if AOL connects then she is having internet connectivity and its more sounding like a browser issue. But when you said the P2P program was not working that throws another snafu into the mix. I am out of ideas. I'ld look into a possible system restore if she is running windows XP.

8. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

OK, thanks for your help anyway.

9. EvileYe

EvileYe

Do you have a firewall that is auto blocking these programs ?

10. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Evileye I'll check and post back. However I think she only has Norton Antivirus.

11. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

It turned out to be Norton Internet security that was the problem. Once reinstalled all was cool. :D

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!