1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: not even the technicians could figure this out

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hlepme84, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hlepme84

hlepme84 Thread Starter

i have win 2000 an dsl connection. for sumreason 2 days ago i was using the comp and the ie window closed out. i tryed opening it again an page could not be displayed. an the internet light on the modem was off. so i called versizon technicians an they were puzzled. the guy figured that it was an older model modem they sent which was 1 that would sleep an wouldnt come back on so they sent a new 1 today. i hooked it all up. called verizon told them the light was still out. they were gonna send a new 1 again after i called 3 com an made sure it wasnt my ethernet card that was messed up. but i told them before i hung up the phone that right when it stopped working i restarted the comp an when it came to the desktop avg detected about 2 virus's. an they told me that the virus's could be stopping me from receiving.

so i did a virus scan then deleted then spybot then adware restarted the comp and tryed the numbers in the address bar they been having me do for the past 2 days ive been calling an it finally work.

they think either it was the virus's that was causing this. but most likely the ethernet card is fading.

is there a way i can check an see if my card is going bad? or do i need to take it to a technician?

2. TtCG

TtCG

The title says "Solved", but I'd like to address your question about having a technician check your network card. What I'd do is buy a new network card. It would be A LOT cheaper than having a tech look at it. They're relatively cheap and you'll be almost 100% sure you have a good card should you have any further network related problems.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328990

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice