1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Not sure about using a firewall with My Network Places

Discussion in 'Networking' started by **__**, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. **__**

**__** Thread Starter

I am using My Network Places in order for my laptop to connect to my pc computer that has a printer attached to it. If I don't disable my firewalls on my PC, and when I try to click on "workgroup computers" in the My Network Places on my laptop, then my PC computer is not shown their. But when I disable all the firewalls on my PC, and I check the status of my PC from my laptop, my pc is then listed in My Network Places under "workgroup computers".

If I want to view the laptop computer on My Network Places through my PC, I can't connect to the laptop unless I disable the Windows Firewall on it. On both computers I am running Windows Firewall, but on the PC computer, I am also running Norton Firewall. In order for me to have a connection between both computers through My Network Places, I have all firewalls on both computers disabled.

Do I need to have Windows Firewall or any firewall disabled in order to have a connection between the two computers?

Is their any way to have a firewall running on both computers, and that both computers can maintain a Network connection between the two computers to share the printer?

Both systems, Windows XP Pro SP2.

2. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

I run windows firewall on a home network(xp) of 2 machines . no problem.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You certainly don't need a firewall to establish a connection, a firewall's primary purpose in life it to restrict connections, not allow them! :D

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If the Windows XP firewall is blocking you, you didn't properly enable file and printer sharing. Control Panel - Windows Firewall - on the General tab have 'On' selected and on the Exceptions tab make sure there is a check mark for 'file and printer sharing.'

You shouldn't have multiple firewalls running; they can cause you enough headaches w/o having them fighting each other in the background.

Norton and other 3rd party firewalls have to be properly configured to allow the LAN access you desire. I don't use them so I make no effort to read their user manuals or help files.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Hey, John. Did ya maybe miss the word "disabled " in the question you answered? :) :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538127

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice