Solved: Not sure - Sound card????

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

maynard55

Wiped my hard drive clean, reinstalled windows and XP and all of the "saved" drivers... No sound.

I have reinstalled the device several times, I have updated the driver.. still nothing.

When I go to "System Information" and click on Software environment and the on drivers I see

name - Sthda
Description - IDT high definition audio codec
File - C:\windows\sys32\drivers\sthda.sys\
Type - Kernel Driver
Started - No
Start Mode - Manual
State - Stopped
Status - OK
Error control - normal
Accept pause - No
Accept stop - no

I'm not sure if I have an IDT or Sig matel card... I've tried drivers for both

I looked in "services.msc" I didn't see any audio services except Windows audio.

went into "setup" when the computer starts.. (is that bios?)

Checked on "Integrated audio.. said it was "On"

Additionally.. when I check in "device manager".. I see a yellow dot by the line that says "Sigmatel high definition audio codec"

When I click on that.. I see "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

help

dustyjay

Jay
If this computer is the same one in your Comp Specs the Dell E310, There is a Label on it with a service tag code on it. You can go to the Dell Support site and enter the servce tag code and it will tell you what driver you need based on the equipment that was in the factory build. Don't worry if you have done a few upgrades, if you have not changed the Motherboard, the information will be correct for the integrated sound card.

maynard55

I must sound like a dope but.. I'm trying.

Based on my service tag, there was only one identified download for the audio.. it was a sigma tel.

I downloaded what they had and when I click on it to open.. a box popped up which read.. "There are no files to download. Please go to Drivers and Downloads to select file(s).

That's exactly where I started...Drivers and Downloads

dustyjay

Jay
I don't need the driver but I just downloaded it. Did you do the Dell download or did you do the browser download? I used the browser download. I would offer to email it to you but the file is too big to email through my isp.

maynard55

That did it.

It was a pain to finally get the browser DL but.. in the end, it worked

Thanks for sticking with me...

Roseburg is a nice town.. I grew up in Grants Pass, left there in 1970

dustyjay

Jay
I moved to roseburg in 2000 from Yosemite. It was way too expensive living in the mountains. I visit Grants Pass 3 or 4 times a month, mostly for the nearest Super Wally World.

Glad to hear you got er fixed. I do not really like dells support too much, but once you get used to the way it works, Drivers there are a snap.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online