1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Notebook Hard Drive Adapter Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jvracing, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jvracing

jvracing Thread Starter

I have a Compaq 2190US notebook (specs ) with XP-SP2 Home, and it sorta died over the weekend.

It seems that the networking portion of the OS went berzerk. I was hardly able to boot into windows at all, and if it did work it was incomprehensibly slow (like taking 5+ minutes to go from the logon screen to the desktop). Booting into Safe Mode worked fine, but Safe Mode With Networking had the same issue. That's why I believe the networking is the culprit (I know, my deductive reasoning powers are astounding!).

So I began following the MS KB article about troubleshooting with a clean boot, and tried doing what it said about removing unsigned drivers. Unfortunately, I didn't quite do what it said. When I did the search for unsigned drivers in windows/system 32/drivers, I clicked the "check subfolders" option, which I guess I shouldn't have done. It therefore found that everything in the "etc" subfolder was unsigned, so I tried removing that whole folder and placing its contents in another temporary folder in the root. I also removed two PGP drivers.

When I tried to boot back up, the system would completely freeze at the logon screen. Either that, or I at least could not interact with the system at all. The keyboard and mouse did nothing.

I tried using the Recover Console, but it won't let me access that temporary folder to copy the drivers back to windows/system 32/drivers/etc." So I tried doing a repair installation with the XP CD, but as soon as it reboots and gets to the GUI portion of the install, it doesn't let me interact at all. No mouse movement, no keyboard movement.

So I figured my only other option was to try and use a 2.5 to 3.5 inch adapter and plug it into my desktop to either copy the files back to the "etc" folder, or to recover my data before reformating the stupid thing. Unfortunately, when I removed the hard drive it wouldn't attach to the adapter. I can't figure out how to make it work! It seems to have its own adapter already on it that changes it from male pins to a female interface of some kind. I tried to remove that adapter, but couldn't get it off. See the attached files for details of what it looks like.

Any advice about anything I mentioned in this post would be most helpful. If there is some way to access the drive without attaching it to the desktop computer, that would be awesome. If there is some way to get my 2.5 to 3.5 inch converter to work, that would be great. I'm really stuck!

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. marioh

marioh

Compaq are the kings of proprietary hardware, and that laptop hard drive looks like it's been "Compaqified". :(
    Unless the hard drive is in some sort of hard drive chassis which can be removed (which would also remove that weird connector), I believe you're going to be out of luck with trying to get that to work either with a converter or a 2.5" drive enclosure.

Hopefully someone with more Compaq laptop knowledge will be able to help you out. I've come across many Compaq laptops, but that experience was years ago as we've migrated away from Compaq's (thankfully !) over the past few years.

3. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Hmm..that's not a normal 2.5in connector. Looks like it connects to a card type connector.

You sure it won't come off?

4. jvracing

jvracing Thread Starter

I tried pulling the adapter thing off, but from what I've read laptop HDDs are quite fragile. I didn't want to pull too hard and break the whole thing!

Do I have any other options?

5. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Looks like that connector bar does come off with a little elbow grease..
    Don't hold me responsible if it breaks though.. ;)

Here is the disassembly manual, go to the Removing the Hard Disk Drive section.
    There's a picture after step #5.
    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00246219.pdf

6. jvracing

jvracing Thread Starter

Awesome!

Thanks so much for finding that. I never would have had the guts to pry that sucker off without knowing that the manual tells you to. I just tried it, and it does come off if you work at it!

I greatly appreciate both of y'all for responding so quickly. You rock. (y)

7. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

great! good luck w the data recovery.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/333469

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice