1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Notepad++ problem

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by JiminSA, Jul 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JiminSA

JiminSA Thread Starter

I just upgraded one of my m/c's to Windows 7 and re-installed Notepad++ and am having problems trying to save files.
    I get this response
    I have already posted in the SourceForge Notepad++ help forum, but thought that one of our own might have encountered this frustrating quirk and have the solution?;)

2. allnodcoms

allnodcoms

If this is a web page, are you browsing it at the same time as editing? XAMP may also be laying claim to it as well if it's a PHP file - not sure on that one though...

Only thing I can think of mate, other than the obvious "Get a Mac!"... :rolleyes:

Danny

3. JiminSA

JiminSA Thread Starter

Why on earth would I get a Scotsman? Seriously... I have xampp activated but not running in the browser - but I've always been able to edit with xampp running and open in browser with no mutual exclusivity, whilst running on windows xp. But this problemo only seems to have occurred on windows 7. While browsing the Notepad++ forum there was an anonymous thread posing the exact same problem - with a note from the moderator saying we don't accept anonymous posts - so no help there, yet...

4. colinsp

colinsp

I am running Notepad++ on a Windows 7 64bit machine and it doesn't exhibit these problems. I do use Wampserver though so it may be Xampp but I think it unlikely.

5. JiminSA

JiminSA Thread Starter

Colin - I downloaded Notepad++ 6.1.5 onto a 32-bit m/c running under windows 7 - might this be a problem?

6. JiminSA

JiminSA Thread Starter

It looks like a quirk in the latest NP++ version - I went back to version 6.1.3 and everything's hunkey-dorey...

7. allnodcoms

allnodcoms

Every household should have one for all those menial jobs... :rolleyes:

(sorry Scottish people... Just jocking. DOH! I meant "joking")

Danny

8. JiminSA

JiminSA Thread Starter

I have enough flak from hyphens and commas, without wanting to upset our Celtic brethren!

9. allnodcoms

allnodcoms

Sorry Jim, that last bit was totally un"nessy"sary...

Danny

10. JiminSA

JiminSA Thread Starter

We best be careful - we could end up being whisk(ey)ed off to prison to do some porridge! (Now I'm scraping barrel bottoms as well!):D

11. allnodcoms

allnodcoms

Put under "Loch" and key you mean? *GROAN*

OK, enough's enough...

Danny

12. JiminSA

JiminSA Thread Starter

Well folks, it's still a problem! Un-installing and re-installing solved the problem for the length of time I had Notepad++ open (i.e. I could save). But when I close and reopen the problem reoccurs. Grrr! :mad:

13. ckphilli

ckphilli

Just a though Jim...have you looked at other editors? I've found notepad++ to be highly painful, but to each his own.

14. allnodcoms

allnodcoms

The word "Vim" springs to mind here... ;)

Danny

15. ckphilli

ckphilli

Yessir:)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1060240