1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Now what do I do?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Wiskerluv, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wiskerluv

Wiskerluv Thread Starter

I did a fresh install of windows XP Pro and some things aren't working correctly. For instance: In Control Panel, it won't open Add Remove Programs..When I want to see a list of folders, it is greyed out, so I can't view the files in a list, or any other way. There is probably more stuff not working but I haven't checked everything.

Just wondered if I should install windows again? Thanks!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

If it's a fresh install, what programs would even be in Add/Remove? It should be empty, anyway.

Were there any errors during the process?

What folders?

3. Wiskerluv

Wiskerluv Thread Starter

When I click on Control Panel, then Add/Remove Programs I get an error message "value creation failed at 451". (Parser message). Almost everything else seems to work in Control Panel-

I think I fixed the folder problem by playing around with settings, but one would think that after installing WinXP again, a person shouldn't have to fix this.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

No, that's not usually needed. Why did you reinstall? There may still be some other problem.

5. Wiskerluv

Wiskerluv Thread Starter

I reinstalled because could not get IE to work so someone from another forum suggested that I reinstall windows but that didn't work, so I did a clean install and IE is ok now but now the other problem.

We also cannot connect to the internet on my laptop since reinstalling windows but that's another problem.

6. pihky123

pihky123

maybe your instalation cd is messed up,did u get some errors during instalation ?

7. Wiskerluv

Wiskerluv Thread Starter

No, actually the install went smoothly, no errors.

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Go into the Device Manager. Are there any entries with a ? next to them?

What's the brand name, model name, and model number of that laptop?

----------------------------------------------------------

9. Wiskerluv

Wiskerluv Thread Starter

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L355-S7915. Yes there are yellow ? in Device Mgr. for Video Adaptor and Video Control Adaptor (VGA compatible). When I bought the laptop, it didn't come with a reinstallation CD because Toshiba doesn't furnish one for some reason. If anything, I will call ATT who is my wireless provider to solve this problem. I am still trying to solve the Add/Remove program on the desktop.

BTW we can connect to the laptop if we use some neighbor's unsecured network but they aren't always online.

10. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

When you reformatted did you completely delete your previous partition or install over it? For now since the website doesn't show your model
    here are a list of all your drivers for your model : http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/...L355-S7915&selCategory=3&selFamily=1073768663

NOTE:
    Toshiba doesn't make the model you have anymore so that site should have them all. I think you're having display issues because your Driver
    Display wasn't installed.

If you can connect to the internet I suggest trying to install the correct drivers- What drivers have you installed? Were you missing your Video/Display adapter?

11. Wiskerluv

Wiskerluv Thread Starter

Thanks for that site Vic, but of course there is a charge to get those drivers.

I went to the Toshiba site and downloaded a Display driver on my desktop pc, so I will burn it on a disk and install on laptop.

I did a clean install of windows (deleted the partition). Will let you know if I have any luck.

12. Wiskerluv

Wiskerluv Thread Starter

I meant to say when I installed XP, it was a clean install.

I installed the video driver on the laptop so everything is fine in device manager.
    I am going to call my ISP tech support about the networking problem. I have been into every setting one can imagine regarding networking and nothing works. Will let you know how it goes.

13. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Yeah that's the problem but I needed to know which one you needed so I could get it from the site when I got home. I wonder why the Toshiba website doesn't have your model...? Odd- But atleast my link showed which driver you needed glad it helped let us know!

14. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

As for Network problem...Which ISP/router? is it dsl/wireless?

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

Are you sure it's not S7815? In any case, these drivers may work:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/...7815&selCategory=2756709&selFamily=1073768663

The S7915, from what I can find, was sold exclusively by Walmart and is not supported by Toshiba. Support is through customer service at Walmart.

This may help you identify hardware: PCWizard[​IMG]

On new Toshibas, the option to create the recovery disks is in the Start menu. It took 4 DVD's to make mine.

Did you install your own version of Windows from the hard drive, the one that came with the machine, or did you use a different DVD? Because your drivers should all be there.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027194

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice