1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: .nrg file burning help

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by blahblah12346789, Nov 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blahblah12346789

blahblah12346789 Thread Starter

I have windows 7 professional edition, and I'm running an HP notebook. I downloaded something that is in nrg format, but it's in two parts. It doesn't have .001 after it. It just says "Filename Disk1.nrg" and "Filename Disk2.nrg". I'm wondering how to burn these to a disk? Do I have to combine the files or something? Thanks

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

An NRG file is proprietary Nero file format for a disc image file. You can use a free program like nrg2iso to convert them to a more common ISO image file that can then be burned to disc using other burning software.

Some burning software may also be able to directly open and burn NRG image files to discs.

3. blahblah12346789

Thanks. I converted both NRG'S to ISO images, but I still have my original question, how do I burn two images to a disk?

4. Ima Hallmark

Ima Hallmark Banned

You could use HJ-Split or File Joiner & Splitter. Both are freeware.

5. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Based on the file names you mention in the original post, it is possible that you have to burn each converted ISO file to its own disc.

Some freeware that can burn ISO files ...

[email protected] ISO Burner 2.1 (Freeware)
    ImgBurn (listed as supporting NRG files)​

6. blahblah12346789

I highly doubt that. It's actually a program so it's unlikely it has two parts. I guess it's possible though. I'm starting to get the idea that these files are corrupted. I used ImgBurn to try to burn the NRG's and it said unsupported file type. Also, I burned one of the converted ISO images to a DVD and when I put it in it was completely empty. So either the files are corrupted or that nrg2iso program doesn't work.

7. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    What is the size of each of the NRG files?

FWiW, Installers for some large programs used to come on more than one CD and the user was prompted to switch discs in the middle of the installation.

8. blahblah12346789

Oh thanks that's good to know.

Disk 1 is 455 MB and Disk 2 is 429 MB.

9. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Have you tried burning either ISO file to a CD-R instead of a DVD?

10. blahblah12346789

Yeah I just tried it, same result. It's completely blank. The merged file is too big for a CD-R by the way.

11. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    The free version of IsoBuster should allow to open the original .NRG file and see exactly what files are in it. If that comes up empty, I would suspect you got some bad files.

12. Soundy

Soundy

You could always just use Nero to burn the original files... I don't know if they still do, but they used to have a downloadable 30-day full-function demo version.

Edit: Just checked, Nero now has a free version, BurnLite 10: http://www.nero.com/enu/downloads-nbl-free.php

That should allow you to burn the .nrg files directly.

13. blahblah12346789

That seems to be the case now. I tried opening one of them and got this error:

[​IMG]

So I guess I just have bad images. The second disk actually works when I try opening it, but it's useless without both of them. I found another copy of the program I wanted on the internet (also in two nrg files). So I'm downloading that and hoping it isn't the exact same copy. Thanks for all the help the last couple days. Have a great day.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/962042

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice