[SOLVED] NTFS incorrect drive space

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

quizbuk

Thread Starter
Joined
Sep 30, 2003
Messages
4
alrighty, i read a prior thread about the guy who was having trouble with his NT server, and tried all that NTFSdos program stuff with no success. I'm using winxp and i have a 40 gig hard drive i use just for media. it has 13 gigs of videoclips and misc files on it, however, windows seems to think it's got 27 gigs used. what the crap can i do.
p.s. it's recently been formatted. :confused:
 
Joined
Oct 1, 2003
Messages
7
Having the same problem. I was deleting files I didn't need, but it still said I had 299 MB free space.
 

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Joined
Jan 27, 2001
Messages
103,706
Originally posted by quizbuk:
alrighty, i read a prior thread about the guy who was having trouble with his NT server, and tried all that NTFSdos program stuff with no success. I'm using winxp and i have a 40 gig hard drive i use just for media. it has 13 gigs of videoclips and misc files on it, however, windows seems to think it's got 27 gigs used. what the crap can i do.
p.s. it's recently been formatted. :confused:
Hi and welcome. It sounds like your bios only supports up to 27 gig hard drives. Either you need to partition, or use the software overlay that came with the drive........or update your bios, but I don't recommend that, although others, I'm sure will ;)
 

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Joined
Jan 27, 2001
Messages
103,706
Originally posted by deadm4n:
Having the same problem. I was deleting files I didn't need, but it still said I had 299 MB free space.

Hi and welcome,


299 MB free is not much.......
 
Joined
Oct 1, 2003
Messages
7
Yeah, it's a 80 gig HD, and I needed to make room to backup more files, so I deleted ones I didn't need. But after cleaning those out, it still read 299 MB. I selected all the files and folders and checked the size and it only takes up around 60 gigs.
 

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Joined
Jan 27, 2001
Messages
103,706
Right click on the drive in my computer, does it show all 80 gigs there? Also, after deleting, did you reboot, just in case something is not reading right?
 

quizbuk

Thread Starter
Joined
Sep 30, 2003
Messages
4
well i don't think the bios is the issue. i have an 80 gig installed too. that works fine.
 
Joined
Sep 29, 2003
Messages
4
Just a shot in the dark...but do you have Norton installed on the computer?
 
Joined
Oct 1, 2003
Messages
7
It shows the capacity of the drive being 74.5 GB.

After I deleted I tried to copy the other files onto the drive, and it said there was not enough room, even though the files I had deleted were much larger than the ones I was copying over. I gave me a popup that said not enough disk space, then Explorer crashes. I tried rebooting and running Scandisk. I tried deleting restore points and using Disk Cleanup.

I do have Norton Systemworks 2003 installed.
 

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Joined
Jan 27, 2001
Messages
103,706
Originally posted by deadm4n:
It shows the capacity of the drive being 74.5 GB.

After I deleted I tried to copy the other files onto the drive, and it said there was not enough room, even though the files I had deleted were much larger than the ones I was copying over. I gave me a popup that said not enough disk space, then Explorer crashes. I tried rebooting and running Scandisk. I tried deleting restore points and using Disk Cleanup.

I do have Norton Systemworks 2003 installed.
After you delete, do you empty the recycle bin? Or perhaps Norton is protecting the recycle bin somehow????
 

quizbuk

Thread Starter
Joined
Sep 30, 2003
Messages
4
OK. after a thorough investigation of norton antivirus i found that you can permanetly delete the files that norton is somehow saving to be undeleted at a later time. Then i changed the setting so it should never use any hard drive space to do that again. You can also disable that feature if you want. That finally worked, all my gigs are accounted for. and i have a smile on my face. (y) HOLLAR.
 
Joined
Oct 1, 2003
Messages
7
Ah yes, I didn't even realize Norton System Works had that File Protection option. Good find! I also purged the protected files and regained all my hard-drive space.
 

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Joined
Jan 27, 2001
Messages
103,706
I think that is unrelated deadm4n, probably best to start a new thread under web/email ;) I'll mark this one solved twice :D
 

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Joined
Oct 19, 2002
Messages
106,418
Originally posted by AcaCandy:
I think that is unrelated deadm4n, probably best to start a new thread under web/email ;) I'll mark this one solved twice :D
You forgot the second SOLVED. :D:D:D
 
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

Top