1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] NTFS incorrect drive space

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by quizbuk, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. quizbuk

quizbuk Thread Starter

alrighty, i read a prior thread about the guy who was having trouble with his NT server, and tried all that NTFSdos program stuff with no success. I'm using winxp and i have a 40 gig hard drive i use just for media. it has 13 gigs of videoclips and misc files on it, however, windows seems to think it's got 27 gigs used. what the crap can i do.
    p.s. it's recently been formatted. :confused:

2. deadm4n

deadm4n

Having the same problem. I was deleting files I didn't need, but it still said I had 299 MB free space.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. It sounds like your bios only supports up to 27 gig hard drives. Either you need to partition, or use the software overlay that came with the drive........or update your bios, but I don't recommend that, although others, I'm sure will ;)

4. ~Candy~

Hi and welcome,

299 MB free is not much.......

5. deadm4n

deadm4n

Yeah, it's a 80 gig HD, and I needed to make room to backup more files, so I deleted ones I didn't need. But after cleaning those out, it still read 299 MB. I selected all the files and folders and checked the size and it only takes up around 60 gigs.

6. ~Candy~

Right click on the drive in my computer, does it show all 80 gigs there? Also, after deleting, did you reboot, just in case something is not reading right?

7. quizbuk

quizbuk Thread Starter

well i don't think the bios is the issue. i have an 80 gig installed too. that works fine.

8. dahoff

dahoff

Just a shot in the dark...but do you have Norton installed on the computer?

9. deadm4n

deadm4n

It shows the capacity of the drive being 74.5 GB.

After I deleted I tried to copy the other files onto the drive, and it said there was not enough room, even though the files I had deleted were much larger than the ones I was copying over. I gave me a popup that said not enough disk space, then Explorer crashes. I tried rebooting and running Scandisk. I tried deleting restore points and using Disk Cleanup.

I do have Norton Systemworks 2003 installed.

10. quizbuk

quizbuk Thread Starter

yeah, i have antivirus and firewall

11. ~Candy~

After you delete, do you empty the recycle bin? Or perhaps Norton is protecting the recycle bin somehow????

12. quizbuk

quizbuk Thread Starter

OK. after a thorough investigation of norton antivirus i found that you can permanetly delete the files that norton is somehow saving to be undeleted at a later time. Then i changed the setting so it should never use any hard drive space to do that again. You can also disable that feature if you want. That finally worked, all my gigs are accounted for. and i have a smile on my face. (y) HOLLAR.

13. deadm4n

deadm4n

Ah yes, I didn't even realize Norton System Works had that File Protection option. Good find! I also purged the protected files and regained all my hard-drive space.

14. ~Candy~

I think that is unrelated deadm4n, probably best to start a new thread under web/email ;) I'll mark this one solved twice :D

15. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You forgot the second SOLVED. :D:D:D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168469

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice