Solved: NTFS or FAT32 ???

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Money Pit

Dave
Does anyone know how I find out which file system I have?, NTFS or FAT32? Thanks :) Dave

valis

with xp, ntfs.

right click my computer > properties > general tab > file system, near the top, under 'type'.

If you got to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Defragmenter it will open the disk defragmenter and it will show in the list of drives, next to your hard drive the file system. But usually if your hard drive is quite small (under about 30Gb) is would be a FAT32 file system

Money Pit

Dave
chazshep said:
If you got to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Defragmenter it will open the disk defragmenter and it will show in the list of drives, next to your hard drive the file system. But usually if your hard drive is quite small (under about 30Gb) is would be a FAT32 file system[/QUOTE=

I have a 60Gb and it's FAT32 I knew I saw it somewhere? Wish it was NTFS tho :( Thanks Dave

if it is a fat32 on windows 2000 there is a 32Gb limit on a partition i had got confused:rolleyes: :rolleyes: it says at Microsoft that the fat32 drives are usually found on windows 95,98,200 and ME versions of windows. unless you probably upgraded to XP.

Money Pit

Dave
chazshep said:
if it is a fat32 on windows 2000 there is a 32Gb limit on a partition i had got confused:rolleyes: :rolleyes: it says at Microsoft that the fat32 drives are only found on windows 95,98,200 and ME versions of windows. unless you probably upgraded to XP.
I'm not sure exactly what your saying chazshep but I am running XP and it's not an upgrade. It is a full OEM copy that was installed on this computer when it was built 2 1/2 years ago. Thanks :) Dave

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online