1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: NTFS or FAT32 ???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Money Pit, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Money Pit

Money Pit Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave
    Does anyone know how I find out which file system I have?, NTFS or FAT32? Thanks :) Dave

2. valis

valis Moderator

with xp, ntfs.

right click my computer > properties > general tab > file system, near the top, under 'type'.

3. chazshep

chazshep

If you got to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Defragmenter it will open the disk defragmenter and it will show in the list of drives, next to your hard drive the file system. But usually if your hard drive is quite small (under about 30Gb) is would be a FAT32 file system

4. Money Pit

Money Pit Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave

5. chazshep

chazshep

if it is a fat32 on windows 2000 there is a 32Gb limit on a partition i had got confused:rolleyes: :rolleyes: it says at Microsoft that the fat32 drives are usually found on windows 95,98,200 and ME versions of windows. unless you probably upgraded to XP.

6. Billy the Adult

Billy the Adult

7. Money Pit

Money Pit Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave
    Thanks Billy, I was aware there was a way to convert to NTFS, just wasn't sure which one I had LOL. I'll be replacing my hard drive in another year or so and that will mean a 'reformat' so I'm thinking I'll switch to NTFS then. Thanks :) Dave

8. Money Pit

Money Pit Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave
    I'm not sure exactly what your saying chazshep but I am running XP and it's not an upgrade. It is a full OEM copy that was installed on this computer when it was built 2 1/2 years ago. Thanks :) Dave

9. chazshep

chazshep

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540853

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice