1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: ntvdm.exe 100% CPU Usage

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TommyC306, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TommyC306

TommyC306 Thread Starter

Hi out there can any of you help this silver surfer. My computerr seemed to be doing ok, the odd crash here and there and I would re start and get on with it. Just recently I put a cd rom into the disc drive and nothing happened. (Normally the program starts ok) Everything seemed to have slowed up. when I went to the windows task manager I saw that 100% of my cpu was being used by ntvdm.exe, if there were two incidences of it they shared 50% each and so on for mutiple entries. The only thing new I have added was Nero 9 and system mechanic 7, don't know if this is a cause. I have run regcure and updated all drivers that I can. but I still have the problem. I run XP sp3 have an intel celeron D and 1 giog of memory.

Any advice would be appreciatedhttp://static.techguy.org/smilies/thumbsup.gif

2. karbo

karbo Banned

You're not helping by running System Mechanic or RegCure. The first one may have done the damage.

Can you do a system restore to a date before you've installed these programs?

3. TommyC306

TommyC306 Thread Starter

Took SysMech 8 off, did a system restore the other day and that had no effect, in fact that was the first thing I did. I am prepared to go back further if you think that may help. But the problem always starts when I put something in one of my two DVD drives.

4. karbo

karbo Banned

ntvdm.exe is a process that belongs to the Windows 16-bit Virtual Machine. It provides an environment for a 16-bit process to execute on a 32-bit platform.

Read this.

5. TommyC306

TommyC306 Thread Starter

Hi Karbo, thanks for your interest, I will read the 16-bit process page that you suggest. Things seem to have settled down since I took Sys Mech 8 off and the DVD roms now work, sometimes the cpu uses 100% but now that quickly clears and reverts to normal. So although not quite right it is a LOT better. I will look further into the Sys Mechanic thing, it annoys me that I paid good money for it and if it is the cause of my problems I won't be too happy about it. Thanks for your help, I will post again if I get a result.

6. karbo

karbo Banned

You're welcome!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/797418

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice