1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Nvidia 6600GT drivers missing in Add/Remove Programs?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by InfectioN, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. InfectioN

InfectioN Thread Starter

So I haven't updated my drivers in over 4 months, and my wife is pretty good with computers. I told her I need to update my drivers for the vid card.

She goes in and deletes the old drivers out and installs the new one from nvidia's website.

Now when I get in World of Warcraft, I have these huge white lines around the screen of lossed pixels. It is very random where they occur.

So I go out and check in Control Panel > Add Remove Programs. I now see I only have Nvidia Display. I know for a fact that I had Ethernet and Audio, and I have redownloaded them. But I'm 99% sure there were 2 more that I can't remember.

After talking to her, she said she was on Hard[OP] and saw there were new drivers that was suppose to be improvements for the gforce series. After downloading it and trying it, it wouldn't work. So she went back to just installing the ones on the website. But she DID "delete all" the drivers in the Nvidia in Add Remove Programs.

I tried to find my original Nvidia CD, but I can't. Am I screwed to these lossy pixels now? Because I have no idea where to go from here. I also noticed that I have went from a 40 FPS in WoW.... down to a 20 FPS average now.

No clue what I am missing.

2. mrbrownstone

mrbrownstone

Don't panic; download your drivers from here and it should overwrite whatever driver your wife has installed. The latest drivers from the nvidia site are almost certainly better than the old drivers on your graphics card cd.

3. InfectioN

InfectioN Thread Starter

"So she went back to just installing the ones on the website."

ForceWare Release 162
    Version: 162.18

Already got those. This didn't help.

4. InfectioN

InfectioN Thread Starter

This problem never was solved even when I tried going through Nvidia support. All they told me was to download different drivers, which solved absolutely nothing. Like I said in my post, I know for a fact that in my add/remove programs list under nvidia I had some check boxes, now those are gone.

Since I don't have my original CD for the gforce 6600 GT, how hard would it be to find the files that are on that cd? Is it possible someone would have them out there for download?

5. Deathblow

Deathblow

6. InfectioN

InfectioN Thread Starter

Ok, thanks. I'll try this when I get home. I'm really down to whatever can help out at all. Since that has happened, my game play is just really horrible, almost to the point where I may buy another vid card. I constantly have lag in my video even when I'm in areas where there is no reason for video lag whatsoever.

7. TheEmperor

TheEmperor

What is your motherboard?
    If you had ethernet and sound drivers from nvidia before you were probably using one of the nForce drivers.

8. InfectioN

InfectioN Thread Starter

Didn't get a chance last night to get the driver cleaner and use it, but here is my mobo specs

Motherboard Name FIC K7M-NF18G (AU31)

Motherboard Chipset nForce2-IGP

Company Name First International Computer, Inc.

9. TheEmperor

TheEmperor

10. InfectioN

InfectioN Thread Starter

Well it's been 2 days since I tried the nforce drivers download and I have yet to see the bad inferface in WoW.

Usually I would see parrallel lines under characters, sunsets would consist of huge lines all across it, and my interface would generally have broken lines in words or certain colors.

Going to call it fixed.

I did notice in the download that it had what I "think" was lost in the uninstall my made. Now in my add/remove program under nvidia driver section, I have more than just audio, video, ethernet. I thought there was more there than just those.

But either way, thanks for the advice TheEmperor. You just outdid Nvidia. They never once mentioned that fix, and I explained to them exactly what I posted here. I must have downloaded 3 to 4 different "display" drivers. Then they just gave up and said my card must be bad.

Nvidia support = fail on this one.

11. TheEmperor

TheEmperor

Glad I could help.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/623026

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice