1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Nvidia card not installing! Drivers not compatable??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Comical, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Comical

Comical Thread Starter

Ok, I am having a terrible time with the video card I just bought today. It is the nVidia GeForce FX 5500, and the drivers won't install! After inserting the disk (the card isn't even in the pc yet, I tried before installing the software and the monitor just stayed black, so the old card is still in), the screen comes up to install. I select the windows xp/2000 selection, and then a screen comes up saying, "The nvidia setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware, setup will now exit". I lookedup about something with improper INF files, and honestly.. I don't understand it. What do I do to get this to work?

Thank you so much,
    Brittney

2. BG-0

BG-0

You will need to have the card in place to install the drivers, they are just saying that to you. They can't locate compatible hardware(the Geforce FX5500) because it sits outside the PC.
    Uninstall the drivers for the old card, shutdown, remove old card, put new card in, restart, install drivers.

3. Comical

Comical Thread Starter

When I did that last time, the screen stayed black. The only reason I put the old card back in was because my cousin told me to. He said I needed to install the software first. *shrugs* The only thing I didn't do last time was uninstall the old drivers. So, if I uninstall the old drivers, the computer should start up when I insert the new card? The computer would start, and I heard the fan for the new card running... but nothing came up on the monitor.

4. InfernoReaper

InfernoReaper

Normally, your computer will go into VGA mode (640x480) until you install your graphics drivers.

5. BG-0

BG-0

If you uninstall the old ones the computer won't try to use the new one as the old one, and therefore will display with 640x480 res and 16(8?)-bit colors(like IR said), with the basic display "drivers". So it will grant you to see something and install the real drivers.

6. Comical

Comical Thread Starter

Thank you so much! :) Going to do it now!

7. Comical

Comical Thread Starter

Hey, it's working! I tried everything for hours... And I did the above, and was still getting a blank screen. Then my brother came in and found out i had the monitor cable not plugged into the graphics port. I officially feel like an idiot now ,lol. But.. I will move on. :) Thank you guys for your help! Now.. off to try my new games...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/785142

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice