1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: NVIDIA control panel

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by tlh99, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tlh99

tlh99 Thread Starter

I was using a friends PC (windows XP, IE 8) and right clicked on desktop and in menu it had NVIDIA control panel, being it was something new to me I clicked on it thinking it would open and I could see what it was. Nothing really happened after clicking on it but when I did a restart all the desktop short cuts loaded blank and the names of links contained .ink after them.
    None of them will open neither can I open things in Control Panel. Was going to do a system restore but again nothing will open. It was not in add/remove programs for I was in there prior to finding this and it was not listed. He said he did not download it and not aware it was there. Do I owe him a new PC or can someone bail we out of this mess?

thanks, tlh99

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Try THIS.

Save the .reg file to your desktop. Double-click it to merge it to the registry.

Restart the computer.

If the fix only opens as a text file (in Notepad), right-click the file (before opening it) and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

3. tlh99

tlh99 Thread Starter

His internet explorer and outlook express from the task bar does not open either so I cannot forward this email to his pc nor type the url into IE. Guess I have a real big problem.
    tlh99

4. Phantom010

Can you copy the fix from a working computer to a USB flash drive, and then plug it into the faulty computer to run the fix?

5. tlh99

tlh99 Thread Starter

Thanks Phantom010 for all your help. I had the neighbor boy who has more smarts than me to bail me out. He more or less did as you suggested to run site you sent me on another computer and download onto a USB. We are up and running.
    Thanks again. tlh99

6. Phantom010

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!