1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: nVidia - Display, NVIDIA GeForce 9200

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by walkertwotone, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. walkertwotone

walkertwotone Thread Starter

First Name:
    mark
    I have this windows update as optional,

nVidia - Display, Other hardware - NVIDIA GeForce 9200
    Download size: 152.6 MB

running windows 7 - do i need it? it seems rather big at 152.6mb

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Go into the Device Manager, then click the + in Display Adapters, then double-click the NVIDIA GeForce 9200 entry to open its properties window, then click the "Driver" tab.

What's listed for the driver version?

The current driver version for that video card for Windows 7 is 8.17.12.6658.

Depending on whether you have the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 7, the download size at the NVIDIA site is 72.7 MB or 101.0 MB.

--------------------------------------------------------------

3. OldWeirdPro

OldWeirdPro

Personally, I don't update video drivers unless I am installing a new game or having video problems that the driver update specifically addresses. I've had video driver updates go bad a time or three.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I update drivers from their vendor sites or from other reliable sites.

I never update drivers from the Windows Updates site, unless it's the only place that I can obtain them after replacing or formatting a hard drive and doing a clean install of Windows.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

5. IH-Mitch

IH-Mitch

6. walkertwotone

walkertwotone Thread Starter

First Name:
    mark
    Thanks for all your help, i dont play any video games and dont have any problems watching
    videos so at the moment i dont think i will update the driver unless you think this is a bad idea.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If the display is working okay, there's no compelling need to update the graphics driver.

Either ignore the alert from the Windows Update site or right-click that update entry and select to hide it or not to show it again.

----------------------------------------------------------------

8. OldWeirdPro

OldWeirdPro

As flavallee noted, I usually hide the updates I'm not interested in, then unhide them later if I find them necessary. I have one hidden for my Nvidia card right now that I don't want to install. As long as your system is working satisfactorily there's no need to update the video drivers. But do always install the Important and Critical security patches. Good luck!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/989540

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice