1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Nvidia GeForce2 MX400 driver upgrade = blank screen!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TD912, Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TD912

TD912 Thread Starter

I've posted in this forum under a different name a while ago, but I forgot my username, and my old email host went down, so I made a new one.

Anyway, I know that the MX400 is a really old card, but it's the only thing I got right now. I pulled it from another working PC, so I do know the card still works fine.

I placed in another PC, booted up, and got the ugly 640x480 resolution. I could change the resolution in the Displays settings fine.

However, some old games that required OpenGL just wouldn't run at all, while they would run fine on the other PC. Also, I couldn't play videos in VLC or Windows Media Player.

I forgot all about updating the drivers, so I upgraded the drivers using the last supported version for my MX400, v93.71, from the Nvidia site. I got the "Drivers updated successfully, please restart" message, and restarted. The PC restarted, the Windows logo appeared, the loading bar moved around, and then the screen just went completely blank.

I could only boot the PC into VGA or safe mode, so I used System Restore to go back to the time I removed the driver. And now everything is fine again. Except that I can't watch videos or play 3D games.

The other PC also had the latest drivers installed, and worked fine. Not sure why this is happening to this PC.

Oh yeah, and heres my specs:
    Processor: P4 HT 2.6Ghz "Northwood"
    Mobo: FIC P4-865PE Max
    RAM: 1.25GB PC3200 DDR

2. Sponsor

3. help me please

help me please

have you tried updating direct x, then the graphics card driver? i had this happen once, but it was in my early days and the shop took it away for 2 frickin weeks lol).

4. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

After you install the driver it may be changing the resolution and/or the refresh rate to something beyond what the monitor can support. I would try going into Safe Mode or VGA Mode and set the resolution to 800x600 and the refresh rate to 60Hz, the refresh rate is found under the Advanced settings button.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

I would try using an older driver and maybe one of the safer Omega drivers from here:
    http://www.omegadrivers.net/nvidia.php
    The nesest Nvidia or ATi drivers always screw up the older cards.

6. TD912

TD912 Thread Starter

Triple6, when booted into Safe mode, I can't change the resolution. I move the slider to something else, but then it snaps back to 640x480. In VGA mode, I can move the slider, but when clicking "Apply" the screen goes blank again. Even when setting it to something low like 800x600.

Rich-M, I'll try installing the Omega drivers and see how it goes.
    EDIT: Do I just install the latest version? Or do I need to search the archive for the older versions?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Check the refresh rate, or try one of the Omega drivers. You may also need an older version of the Omega driver, the latest NVidia drivers can support the older cards they just choose not to support them and the support can easily be added back so I'm not sure if the Omega drivers supported older cards or not.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Older version of Omega driver for sure.

9. TD912

TD912 Thread Starter

Ok, now I feel stupid. I forgot to uninstall the old ATI drivers for the card that used to be installed. It was conflicting with the Nvidia card.

I uninstalled it and everything seems to be fixed now.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/723901