1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: nvlddmkm.sys BSOD

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by makilahy, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. makilahy

makilahy Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 6135 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470, 5 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 286165 MB, Free - 213316 MB; D: Total - 2861458 MB, Free - 209446 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P6T DELUXE V2
    Antivirus: ESET NOD32 Antivirus 6.0, Updated and Enabled

History: Yesterday my computer was working just fine. This morning, I turned it on and started getting the infamous nvlddmkm.sys BSOD. No updates or new software were installed. In Safe Mode everything runs fine, and I have carefully uninstalled the drivers and registry settings, performed a clean install of the latest drivers (v. 310.90), physically inspected my hardware for obvious damage, and unplugged unnecessary hardware (external hard drives, etc.). If I remove graphics drivers and reboot, everything works. Once the drivers are installed, I get the BSOD on reboot.

I am considering formatting the drive and reinstalling Windows 7, but may resort to taking my computer somewhere to test my PSU and graphics card first. I can try to test my memory while I'm sleeping, but given that I've tested it recently and everything runs fine for hours otherwise, I doubt that's it. I have attached 3 dump files if anyone can help me analyze them. Ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. makilahy

makilahy Thread Starter

I ran MemTest86+ while sleeping last night, and 7 passes turned up 0 errors.

During lunch today, I'm probably going to be looking for a computer repair shop in the Atlanta area... and I may reinstall Windows 7 tonight. However, I'm still hoping for some suggestions on this forum.

3. makilahy

makilahy Thread Starter

Update:
    After coming home from work, I turned my computer on and (to my surprise) it booted normally. However, within a few minutes, the screen went black and then returned to normal, giving the error: "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered..." A few seconds later, it did it again, and small squares of random colors started to appear on the screen. After updating the NVIDIA drivers to the latest version (314.07 -- just released today), I rebooted, and this time the screen went blank within a minute and then the computer rebooted.

This is really starting to look like a hardware problem to me. I'm trying to find a local tech to look at it, but what do you guys think? PSU? Video card? Motherboard?

4. makilahy

makilahy Thread Starter

Resolution:
    After speaking with tech support, we feel safe to conclude that there has been a memory failure on the video card itself. I have an approved RMA with EVGA, and unless I post back, I am pretty certain this problem is resolved.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!