1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Odd internet problem - slows to a grinding halt with pics and videos

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sawoobley, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sawoobley

sawoobley Thread Starter

My desktop computer is connected to my wireless router by an ethernet connection. When I visit certain sites it takes quite a long time to load. It usually happens with videos or forums containing pictures or animated gifs. When I go to a website and run a test on my internet connection you see that it starts off with a fast connection and the speed decreases fairly quickly until it is barely registers any speed at all. Download speeds seem most affected. The same thing occurs with all my browsers (firefox, internet explorer and google chrome). I can download videos off the internet but it is a laborious process. I start downloading the video and it slows down dramatically after each megabyte or so. If I push the pause button and refresh the download it will download the next megabyte and so on.

Now if I connect my laptop to the wireless I experience no problems at all. I don't think I have a virus since I have scanned my computer several times and have detected nothing.

Please help.

2. sawoobley

sawoobley Thread Starter

BTW -

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium - 64 bit

Dell XPS 8300

Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.4 GHz

16GB RAM

I can watch videos on my computer hard drive and through the DVD-ROM just fine. It's only the internet that has problems.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    And if you connect the laptop using the same ethernet cable and router LAN port? (Need to know if it is a router/cable problem or desktop problem.)

4. sawoobley

sawoobley Thread Starter

I figured out the problem and am currently trying to fix it. After I disabled the McAfee firewall youtube seems to be working fine as the videos load normally. I ran another internet speed test and the connection speed is holding steady. Previously, it couldn't complete the test and the connection would grind to a halt. Now it completed the test just fine. Since I have Windows 7, the McAfee firewall is inseparably connected to Windows 7 so I have to find a way to tweak the settings or separating the two. I've read in the McAfee support forums that there are some work arounds but they require uninstalling the software and re-installing it. At least I know what the problem is now and can try messing with things before going through some involved process to fix this annoying problem.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  6. sawoobley

sawoobley Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I uninstalled McAfee and reinstalled it using the custom setting. This time I clicked on the reinstall without personal firewall setting and that seemed to do the trick. I'm able to completely load youtube videos and I passed an internet speed test. FYI: Another solution that was recommended was to uncheck the net guard setting of the firewall. With the solution I described this is not necessary. This problem seems to be afflicting numerous people so hopefully someone else can be helped by this. Many people have spent hours on the phone with customer support.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome.

You can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031694

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice