1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Odd problem with a broadband machine going "offline"

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Kelt, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kelt

Kelt Thread Starter

Okay, this is a wierd one...

I've got an XP-SP1 machine on a broadband connection. Every so often (I've been unable to notice a specific time delay or trigger), it will think it's offline. But ONLY with IE or Outlook Express. For example, IE will attempt to connect with a dial-up networking window when I try to fire up a website. Alternatively, Outlook Express will tell me I'm currently offline, and would I like to go online? If I click "Yes", all is well for another undetermined amount of time.

Now, it's not my broadband connection. When this happens, other connection-dependent apps work just fine - just IE or Outlook Express.

I've run an AdAware scan, thinking maybe some spyware is fouling things up, and I've just run a virus scan. Nothing along those lines is coming up.

Also, one other thing that might be connected... A folder that I had on my desktop that was deleted keeps popping back up from time to time. Its not necessarily in time with the above problem, but it started happeneing about the time that the connection problem...

Any ideas, anyone?

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Kelt
    Strange indeed!
    Have you checked the obvious setting in IE\tools\Internet Options\connections and make sure it is grayed out as "never dial a connection" or set to "never Dial a connection".
    Also
    One would suspect Spyware of sort or a Virus\Trojan as you did.
    Double check for a virus\trojan by doing a free online scan at Housecall to make sure something wasn't missed. Also download and setup Spybot S&D per These Instructions making sure AdAware didn't miss something.

Lastly that reappearing folder on desktop has me concerned. What is that folder and what is in it?

Also if none of the above prove positive then download, set-up, run, and post results of HiJack This per Instructions Listed Here

Dave

3. Kelt

Kelt Thread Starter

Thanks davey. I'll have to try those ideas out this evening - I'm at work now..

The reappearing folder had some WMAs from a CD I put on the machine, and subsequently deleted. I can't figure out why the folder is coming back, and empty...

I'll post back with results later...

4. Kelt

Kelt Thread Starter

Well, it seems that was totally it. I'm kicking myself that I never checked that... Grr..

Thanks a ton!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170684