1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Odd Problems with modem/router combo.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by denoteshappiness, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. denoteshappiness

denoteshappiness Thread Starter

I have a Netgear CG814WG modem/router combo with Comcast. Recently I have been having connection problems with it.

The computers I connect with are:

-a 10 year old gateway ( WinXP, through ethernet)
    -Dell Inspiron 1501 (WinXP, through wireless)
    -2 brand new Dell Inspiron 15r's (Win7, through wireless)

the 15r's are having trouble... they are connected, and sending and receiving data. I can ping any website. I can access any Google website from the browser...but no other sites, through any browser. However, I can access ANY site through ethernet.

I have tried resetting my winsock settings, and I released and renewed my IP address, and even tried spoofing my MAC address to one I know works, but nothing has gotten me any results at all. I called Dell, they said it was an ISP problem. Comcast says its the router. Netgear says its the ISP.

One thing I have thought might be a chance was updated my routers firmware, but I haven't been able to find any place to download it, and Netgear won't even talk to me about it unless I buy a years subscription to networking support.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Gee, Netgear "talked" to me. :) Here they say

Make sure you have the latest wireless driver for the Windows 7 machines. If it is an integrated adapter get the driver from Dell's web site. Use your Service Tags for easier searching.

3. denoteshappiness

The drivers are up to date. And when I say new, I mean I literally started it for the first time today.

If it makes a difference, when connected to the wireless I can also run Skype and make calls, but not Pidgin.

4. denoteshappiness

I finally solved this by changing the MTU setting to 1492.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks for posting the solution.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970621

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice