1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: OE 6 has no spell checker

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by DKTaber, Aug 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

My (computer illiterate) wife was given my daughter's old Compaq laptop with XP-SP3 on it. She uses OE 6 as her e-mail client. Today she complained that while the spellchecker had always worked before, it was suddenly missing altogether from the toolbar. I confirmed that it is indeed not there, and there is also no tab for it in Options.

Have no idea what happened to it, but found some threads in this forum indicating the spellchecker is a file by the name csapi3t1.dll. It's supposed to be located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof. I copied that file from my XP desktop, intending to copy it to the \Proof folder. . . of which there was none on her computer. So I created it and pasted the file into it and rebooted the computer.

Did nothing; still no spellchecker option. What's wrong here? How do I restore the spellchecker to OE 6. Before anyone asks, no, she does not have MS Office on the computer, but does have Apache Open Office.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

As far as I know, without MS Office or MS Works, you're not supposed to have SpellCheck inside Outlook Express. Does she have MS Works?

3. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

4. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

No; only OpenOffice.

5. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Tom: That works. . . but I have a question: What is the source of spelloe's dictionary? It must have it's own, since it can't access Word's or Works'. Does it ever get updated, and if so, how?

6. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

I had seen that program yesterday, but since it was so old, I didn't bother. I'm not sure what the source is. Some dictionnaries, like ieSpell, use the Merriam Webster online dictionnary. But hey, if it works, I guess it's fine. :)

7. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

It comes with it's own dictionary but I have no idea of if or how it updates (I suspect it doesn't).
    If I recall, it has the ability to add words to it's custom dictionary the same as OE.

8. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

OK, Tom; thanks.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1066979