1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: OE 6 sending multiples of same email

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by KayQ, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KayQ

KayQ Thread Starter

Yesterday, Outlook Express 6 started sending 5 or 6 copies of the same email to each addressee. I ran virus scan, spysweeper, ccleaner, spybot, defragged; and it seemed to be working correctly this a.m.; however, this afternoon the same thing happened. OE also hangs up on the sending. I spoke with Comcast tech support without any solution. Their suggestion was to use webmail for a while and see if the same problem happens and then it will be their problem; otherwise, it is an OE problem. This is on my husband's computer and the problem doesn't appear to be with my computer; so I am assuming that it is OE that is the problem. Where do I start? Uninstall and reinstall OE? Or is there a simpler solution that I haven't found yet?

Thanks, Kay

MicronPC, Win 2000 Pro
    2.8 Ghz Pentium 4, 2 MB Ram

2. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

Hi Kay,
    First thing to try would be to move everything out of the Default OE folders (Inbox, Outbox, Sent Items, and Drafts) into folders of your own creation. Delete everything in the Deleted Items folder that you don't want.
    Click Outlook Express at the top of the Folder list so no mail or news folders are open.
    Then x off the folder list or View>Layout and uncheck Folder List and OK.
    Click File>Work Offline.
    Click File>Folder>Compact All.
    Do not interrupt the compact process or run any programs until it is finished.
    Click File>uncheck Work Offline.
    Send a couple messages and see if that straightened things out.
    T.

3. KayQ

KayQ Thread Starter

I followed the steps you outlined on my computer first to see how this worked since I don't have as many emails. I couldn't compact the folders. I got a message: "The folder is currently in use by Outlook Express or by another application." I even unchecked everything on the Layout. After going back online I received an email in the original Inbox. How do you delete the original folders and have the newly named folders function? Or do you move everything back into the original folders?

I forgot to state that some outgoing emails hang up in his outbox and stay there and I think this might be why duplicates are sent out.

Thanks, Kay

4. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

Hi Kay,
    First off, you don't delete the original folders. The default folders will still function as they normally do. All you are doing is moving the messages out of them to other folders.
    Storing messages in the default folders is one of the things that leads to file corruption.
    The message that "folder is in use by OE" usually occurs if you are trying to compact a folder that is open and active.
    You have to be offline and on the main screen of OE to compact all folders at once.

If the Outbox is hanging, it's likely that the Sent Items folder is bloated if you save copies into it when sending. Compacting should correct the problem.
    If it doesn't, it will be necessary to delete the dbx files for those folders (NOT the folders themselves).

T.

5. KayQ

KayQ Thread Starter

Hi Throoper,
    Thanks for your response. After getting into my husband's computer, it looks like bloat is probably the problem; he had about 2400-2500 emails in each of the sent and deleted folders. I cleaned out the delete folders (and set OE to empty the delete files upon closing the program) and got rid of over 2000 emails in the sent folder and then compacted all of the folders. I'l wait to see if this takes care of the duplicate email problem before I create new folders for his email.

Thank you very much. I will mark this solved after we see if the problem has been cured.

Kay

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/689746

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice