Solved: OE emails will not delete from inbox

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

katjod2000

Starting yesterday I am unable to move my emails from the inbox to the delete box to delete them. It says not enough memory. But I do have enough memory to open existing/new emails even with large attachments. What do i need to check and fix?

Here is my computer information:
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2
HP Pavilion
Intel Celeron CPU
1300 MHz
1.29 GHz, 256 MB of RAM

Thank you!

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Hi katjod2000

Any problems moving messages from the Inbox to other folders?

If not, *empty* the Inbox, move messages you want to keep to folders of your own creation in Outlook Express.

Avoid using the default folders in Outlook Express to store your messages, Inbox, Outbox, Sent Items, Deleted Items and Drafts folders.
Regularly, empty those folders.

Enable Show Hidden Files and Folders
Windows XP:
Open My Computer,
Tools > Folder Options > View tab,
under Hidden Files and Folders, verify Show Hidden Files and Folders is selected.
Remove the check mark for Hide Extensions for known file types.
Click Apply, OK to save and close.

In Outlook Express,
Tools > Options > Maintenance tab
Click the: Store Folder button.
The path for your message store is located there.
Click: Cancel and exit out of that window.
Close Outlook Express.

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to that directory.
Locate the Inbox.dbx file and rename it Inbox.old
Locate the Deleted Items.dbx file and rename it Deleted Items.old

Restart Outlook Express, a new Inbox and Deleted Items folder will have been created.
Copy a message to the Inbox folder and delete it to test.

Outlook Express is probably due for some maintenance.
Close all windows.
Open Outlook Express
File > Work Offline
Click on the Local Folders folder
File > Folder > Compact All Folders
Walk away from the computer until the process is complete.
Avoid starting this process if the possibility of a power outage is imminent such as a thunderstorm in progress.

Should the compaction process ever be interrupted, restart it before accessing any folders and allow it to finish.

Let us know if that makes a difference or not.

katjod2000

Great instructions, but I got stuck in one part and have tried to figure it out with only a headache being the end product:

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to that directory.
Locate the Inbox.dbx file and rename it Inbox.old
Locate the Deleted Items.dbx file and rename it Deleted Items.old

Everything was going fine, but when I got to Windows Explorer I couldn't find the directory you needed me to find. I thought I would be smart about it and did a search for inbox.dbx file but nothing was found.

FYI-I did all the steps before this part.

katjod2000

Sorry it has taken me so long, bad thunderstorm last night. I did, but maybe I did that wrong, I am going to try again. Thank you.

katjod2000

Big difference! Thanks. Works great. What I didn't understand the first time around was to find the Inbox.dbx, I wasn't properly following the "tree" of files. I got it now.

But now......how do I, if I can....get the emails that were in my inbox back. Some of those I had flagged to save and didn't think about the fact that I was getting ready to loose the emails. I would like to retrieve them because they were pics of the kids my mom emailed to me and I hadn't saved them yet. OH NO.

Can you help with that or am I S.O.L.?

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
:eek: Accckk! :eek:

*Hopefully*, it can be recovered, the file may be corrupt.
Which is why emptying the Inbox and moving messages you want to keep, to folders of your own creation in Outlook Express, was one of the first steps. :(

Do you recall how many messages were in the Inbox?

With Outlook Express closed, open Windows Explorer and navigate to Outlook Express's store folder (.dbx) directory and locate the Inbox.old file.

• 1. Right click on the Inbox.old file and select Copy
  • 2. Switch over to the Desktop and paste the Inbox.old file into a folder, this is your backup in case this method fails.
  • 3. Switch back over to Windows Explorer.
  • 4. Rename the Inbox.old file OldInbox.dbx
    *Important* if you only change the extension to .dbx, you will overwrite your current Inbox and any messages it contains *will* be lost forever.
    You need to make sure the filename is changed also.

• 5. Locate and Right click on the Folders.dbx file and select Copy
  • 6. Switch over to the Desktop and paste the Folders.dbx file into the folder with the Inbox.old file, this completes your backup.
  • 7. Switch back over to Windows Explorer.
  • 8. Rename the Folders.dbx file to Folders.old

Restart Outlook Express, a new Folders.dbx file will be created which *should* include the information for the newly named OldInbox.dbx file.

A folder with the name OldInbox and its messages should appear in Outlook Express.

If this method fails, then we will try another method using the backups you created on the Desktop.

If you have any questions or any of the steps are unclear, please ask before proceeding.

katjod2000

Geez....followed every step BUT that one. Now I see right at the beginning you told me to do that. Oh there were probably about 25 on there. I will try this and let you know.

katjod2000

(n) Didn't work. I DID create those back-ups on the desktop. ;) And boy do I feel pretty dumb for missing that step. Let's try another method. Thank you

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Just checking: ;)

You followed the steps 1 through 8 *exactly*?

Did you have any subfolders in Outlook Express before renaming the Folders.dbx file?
If so, after renaming that file and restarting Outlook Express, were all the folders then arranged alphabetically without subfolders?

What size is the Inbox.old file?

katjod2000

Yes followed instructions exactly, printing it out and re-reading each step to a T. :D

Did you have any subfolders in Outlook Express before renaming the Folders.dbx file? If so, after renaming that file and restarting Outlook Express, were all the folders then arranged alphabetically without subfolders?

I am not exactly 100% sure of what you mean? Do you mean in Outlook Express Folder's Bar? :confused:

Inbox.old is 39,689 KB

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
If for example, you had created another folder in the Inbox called Personal.
After renaming the Folders.dbx file, a new Folders.dbx file will be created which will re-index the .dbx files and place all the folders directly below the Local Folders folder.
The Personal folder would no longer be a subfolder of the Inbox.

I ask because this method has the most success rate, each method we try after that has a lower success rate.

As a test create a subfolder in the Inbox folder
Right click the Inbox folder and select New Folder name it Test
Copy a message to the new Test folder, accessing the new folder will create it's corresponding .dbx file.
Close Outlook Express, navigate to the .dbx directory and rename the Folders.dbx file Folders.bak

Restart Outlook Express and see if the Test folder was moved out of the Inbox.
Also look for the OldInbox folder.

Let us know what you find.

katjod2000

The test folder I created was moved out of the Inbox (no longer a sub-folder). No OldInbox located.

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Did you see the OldInbox.dbx file while you were in the .dbx directory?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts