1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: OE Express,why "bak" & "dbx" files?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by bukti, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bukti

bukti Thread Starter

I am using Windows XP Pro. I am very confused why some of my e-mail files in the store folder are stored as "bak" and others as " dbx" files?I have read a lot of info/questions on converting them and restoring them ,but why are they different?
    I would like to reduce the file sizes to avoid bloating errors as advised to stay below 100Mb per folder. Some e-mails cannot be moved to a folder from the inbox due to "some error occurring"? What is meant by "creating my own user defined folders for storing mail,& move my mail to them"?Is this to occur in the "Store Folder" or simply under the default Folders(eg inbox,sent items etc?),so I end up with a number of folders for the same contents ,but each with less than 100MB?Hoping for some sense on this please,cheers,bukti. :confused:

2. PedroHin

PedroHin

OE6 stores each named folder in a DBX file. The BAK files you see are failed compression attempts.

The error you get when trying to move mail to a different folder might be from an overly large or corrupt DBX -- which has a hard size limit of 2GB.

When you create a new folder in OE, a similarly named DBX file is created in your mail store folder on the computer.

There is a DBX file named folders.dbx, that tells OE how folders are sorted. Inbox, Outbox, Sent, Drafts and Trash, are automatically created if they are deleted from the store folder

You might have noticed that when you move a significant number of mails from one folder to another, that the source folder doesn't get any smaller. That's when you need to compact folders, or OE will decide on its own when to compact folders.

I would be careful here, since it sounds like you have an unstable DBX or two. Maybe start Windows in safe mode, and disconnect the PC from the internet before moving large quantities of mail around and attempting to compress the DBX files.

If I were in your position, I would also drag a copy of the entire store folder to the desktop, or external storage (with OE shutdown of course)

Can you tell what size your inbox.dbx is? Have any of them gotten close to 2GB (2,097,664KB)?

3. bukti

bukti Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply PedroHin.Appreciate it very much.Am not too experienced with solving probs. on my Pc though.I have copied the entire store folder to the desk top(as I am not sure about "dragging" it.That moves the whole folder from where it is normally,doesn't it?I always back up the whole store folder regularly to my 2 other discs,which are larger than my "C"drive disc.ie highlight then copy/paste to new folder,after deleting the last lot in the back up folders,so I don't double them up.
    I have checked each folder, and there are only 3 that have a large size,ie 480,979 & 640 Mb each.Nothing coming close to 2Gb though?The entire OE folder is 3.3Gb?
    I have deleted every "bak" file there was too(as you said they were only failed Compact attempts.My inbox is 91.2Mb?
    How do I compress the folders manually(off-line or in safe mode etc?),or should I just wait for OE to do it automatically?On the web ,I was advised to not let any folders get bigger than 100Mb,is that correct,and how do I move mail to reduce their size,again in safe mode with OE closed?
    Sorry about all the questions, but I know a bit ,but not enough obviously at a higher level.

4. PedroHin

PedroHin

As far as copying, if you right-click and drag, then a menu pops up when you let go (move here, copy here, create shortcut here)

I suggest starting the PC in safe mode to prevent possibly any running processes from interfering.
    With OE running, first click on the top menu, select 'File', then 'Work Offline'
    Then again click on 'FIle', then 'folders', then 'Compact all folders'.

You DBX files are not dangerously large.

If you still get errors when trying to move mail from the Inbox, then create a new folder under there named 'inbox temp' or something. Then proceed to move what you can from the inbox to there. If an error comes up, then skip that message and continue to drag all of the mail you can from the Inbox. Do that until you can move all you can except for the one(s) that cause the error.

At this point, after performing another compression, if moving mail from the inbox still generates errors, you may have to 'write off' whatever mail is left in there. If you're ok with that, quit OE,open the mail store folder, and rename inbox.dbx to something else like 'inbox.broken.dbx'. when you restart OE, a new inbox.dbx will be created -- it will be empty, but the new incoming mail will still arrive there.

Don't forget to take the checkbox out of 'File' , 'Work Offline'

If you get stuck on any of these steps, post back here. I work my regular job from 8-5 CST, so I may not be able to get back to you right away, but someone else might chime in.

5. bukti

bukti Thread Starter

Thanks loads again PedroHin for that quick reply,and will try solutions asap.Have not had any other problems for a while now,but will still try to lighten the load anyway.cheers, Bukti

6. bukti

bukti Thread Starter

I have found a simple method to solve this problem(I hope).All it took was to create another sub folder under whichever folder was not accepting the file moving from my inbox,and it is now filling up with the new e-mails.Hope it helps someone else.cheers all,Bukti

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975381

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice